    other a lead-acid battery. Has anyone experienced the same symptoms?

    Thanks,

    E. Rudolph

    erudolph, Feb 20, 2008

  2. erudolph

    Trinean Guest

    Best to start with a NULL modem connection to ttya on the 420R and
    disconnect the keyboard.
    This will force any output to ttya and should show any problems the machine
    is having getting through POST.

    The only battery I'm aware of is the one built into the NVRAM.

    Trinean

    Trinean, Feb 20, 2008

  3. erudolph

    markcauchi Guest

    I fired up an old E420R we had in our server cabinet, and we also get no
    post messages back on the serial port. I'm sure that the cabling is fine
    as when I connect to another E420R we get the post messages on the
    serial port. Did you manage to sort out your problem? Do you think it is
    a motherboard problem or perhaps we just need to reset the NVRAM?

    let me know your thoughts.
    Mark

    markcauchi, Mar 14, 2008
  4. erudolph

    Trinean Guest

    Take it down to a minimal configuration, i.e. 1 CPU and 1 bank of memory.
    Swap different components in until you get a minimal working system.
    Then add components back until it stops working to isolate what may be bad.

    Who knows! Maybe people were using the one in the cabinet to cannibalize
    parts out of for other servers?

    Trinean

    Trinean, Mar 14, 2008
  5. erudolph

    markcauchi Guest

    I've taken all the CPU's and memory out from the machine and put those
    from a working server, also checked the motherboard jumper settings for
    the two serial ports to reflect RS232D. We still have no output from the
    serial port.

    The machine was a surplus to requirements at the time and simply
    powered down - now we powered the thing up again and nothing happens,
    Arghhh...

    markcauchi, Mar 17, 2008
  6. erudolph

    Trinean Guest

    At least you know the memory and CPUs are good since they came from a
    working server.
    I suppose you could test the memory and CPU from the dead server in the
    working one just for grins.

    Assuming the machine is getting power, then my guess would be a bad
    motherboard.

    Trinean

    Trinean, Mar 17, 2008