450ROG won't even turn on

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by kjennife, Oct 24, 2006.

  1. kjennife

    kjennife

    Hi all,

    Sounds like we may have the same sort of problems. The problems with mine started with lines occasionally running across the screen and then the screen would turn black and blink off but would come back on. Sometimes I would hit it and that seemed to help (though it was a long time ago so I may be wrong).

    It would go into standby/turn off entirely on it's own and I'd have to hit the power button to reboot windows. Sometimes while rebooting it would turn off in the middle of the "Windows" screen and start rebooting again.

    Finally, it decided to stop turning on entirely. I hit the power button now and nothing happens. The thing is dead. So I downloaded a service manual, opened the entire thing up to see if something was loose...nothing seemed out of place.

    Are you suggesting this is a motherboard problem? We thought it might be power or video card related. Now that I know how to assemble this thing myself I'm thinking about buying replacement parts and doing it on my own rather than taking it to a shop and paying for labor.

    Your advice as to what might be the problem would be very much appreciated!!!

    Thank you.

    kjennife, Oct 24, 2006