    supporting bios..
    thanks in advance...

    Gerry

    Gerry, Jun 23, 2003

  2. Gerry

    S.Heenan Guest

    (2^48)*512= 144115188075855872 bytes or about 144 peta bytes

    S.Heenan, Jun 23, 2003

  3. Gerry

    Paul Guest

    I imagine you are referring to the lack of native support for 48 bit LBA in
    Windows. If that is the case, there have been a couple of references to
    slipstreaming the Windows. This involves copying the contents of the original
    CD to your hard drive and applying the patches (i.e. SP1 for XP) to the files
    and then you create an install CD from this patched version.

    Paul, Jun 23, 2003
  4. Gerry

    Gerry Guest

    Wow!!! I have never heard of them 'peter bites' I guess they are 'next'
    after terabytes? and many thanks for the reply, that has my bios update
    query covered.
    cheers
    Gerry

    Gerry, Jul 3, 2003
  5. Gerry

    Gerry Guest

    Thanks Paul for the additional info, but its what 'Susan' covered in the
    previous answer that I was chasing,
    cheers

    Gerry

    Gerry, Jul 3, 2003
  6. Gerry

    S.Heenan Guest

    Using Moore's Law and a 250GB drive as the largest currently available,
    technology won't likely hit the 48-bit LBA limit until the year 2031.By
    then, the hard drive as we know it will be a distant memory.

    S.Heenan, Jul 3, 2003
  7. Gerry

    Sam Guest

    Take a look at http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/bios_support.htm
    for more information.

    Sam

    Sam, Jul 3, 2003
  8. Gerry

    Paul Guest

    Sorry, I read a couple extra words into your question. I thought you were
    asking about how to get a large hard installed on the new mobo's with 48 bit LBA
    not how large they can get before they hit the 48 bit limitation.

    Paul, Jul 4, 2003
  9. Gerry

    Gerry Guest

    Thanks Sam, will do.

    Gerry

    Gerry, Jul 5, 2003
  10. Gerry

    Gerry Guest

    Thanks for that, I guess by then computers will probably be obsolete too..

    Gerry

    Gerry, Jul 5, 2003