    64-bit address space? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

    Any 4GB or more notebooks out there?

    Bryan

    Bryan Hall, Dec 31, 2003

  2. Bryan Hall

    Lucar Guest

    I don't think there are already laptops based on the new 64-bit AMD chip.
    And even if there were, without the supporting 64-bit OS and applications
    they would simply be a power-consuming overkill with hardly any demand for
    them.

    Lucar, Dec 31, 2003

  3. Don't they refer to a laptop, that has to be plugged in all the time,
    as a desktop? <g>

    Larry

    Lawrence Glasser, Dec 31, 2003
  4. I don't think there are already laptops based on
    They exist, but whether or not they are readily available is a
    different question. THG has a review of a "Yakumo Q8M Power64
    XD" with AMD's Athlon64 Mobile 3000+.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20031216/index.html

    I think the biggest problem for the OP (besides OS support)
    will be finding 2GB SODIMMs; considering DIMMs of that density
    are rather rare.

    Michael J. Apollyon, Dec 31, 2003
  5. Bryan Hall

    Bryan Hall Guest

    On AMD64:

    Actually, there have been several pre-release ones reviewed already,
    and I believe VoodoPC's one is now avialble:
    http://www.voodoopc.com/systems/m855.aspx

    As for a supporting OS, SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 8 supports the
    x86-64 instruction set. Oracle 10g products support this platform. I
    don't care about Windows.

    General:

    Remember, I stated that this is for Oracle demos, for use with spatial
    and app server. This is not to play games on, write documents, or
    other low memory uses. A normal laptop is the worst environment for
    Oracle - low memory and a SLOW hard drive. Even with a slow laptop HD,
    two more gigs of RAM will go a long way towards quicker demos once the
    data is read from the drive and pinned into cache.

    Bryan Hall, Dec 31, 2003
  6. Bryan Hall

    danco Guest

    However, *if* you can stomach it, Microsoft SQLserver operates much faster
    than Oracle in that environment. (Ducking and running...)

    danco, Dec 31, 2003
  7. Bryan Hall

    DukeN Guest

    Why not consider a small form factor PC? Get a shuttle based Athlon 64, load it up with
    your specs for a PC, and take it along with a slim LCD monitor. Not as portable as a laptop
    but definitely luggable and give you lots and lots of juice.

    DukeN, Jan 1, 2004
  8. Bryan Hall

    Chris Allen Guest

    Check this comp.sys.laptops thread...
    http://tinyurl.com/2jpdl

    ....wherein I made this 4GB laptop recommendation for MITRE's Craig Wanke:

    Chris Allen, Jan 2, 2004
  9. Bryan Hall

    Chris Allen Guest

    He needs more than 2GB. There are currently no LAN-party PCs that
    can be loaded with more than 2GB. One options for him is to use one
    of the 4GB ultrasparc notebooks made by Naturetech:

    http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/html/products/mobile/sparcbook/
    http://www.nextcomeurope.com/ultrasparc/index.htm
    http://www.motus.dk/naturetech.htm
    http://www.naturetech.com.tw/products/777E&ES_all.htm

    -Chris

    Chris Allen, Jan 2, 2004
  10. Bryan Hall

    Bryan Hall Guest

    Thanks Chris for one of the more useful replies..

    To be honest, I didn't realize that anyone was making SPARC laptops
    anymore. That might work as our normal production environment is still
    mostly Sun based. I had also considered getting one of the ATX cases
    with the LCD screens attached. It's just that routinely taking these
    things on a plane (or rather having to check them) is not something I
    would look forward to. It seems there should be a market for a
    luggable compact 1U ATX case with a monitor.

    Bryan

    Bryan Hall, Jan 3, 2004