4PDA2+ Bulging capacitors

Discussion in 'Epox' started by Zed, Jan 9, 2007.

  1. Zed

    Zed Guest

    I think I've got bulging caps in this mobo. 5 or 6, mostly clustered
    around the AGP slot. EC26 and EC27 are examples. This computer is now
    suddenly a crash monster--random spontaneous reboots from stop various
    stop errors. Increasing instability, which prompted mobo examination.

    This is actually the 2nd 4PDA2+ I've had in this machine. The first
    had buggy temp readings, and it too looks like it has several bulging
    caps near the agp slot. The bulging is accompanied by a beige
    substance that flakes off.

    I assume this appearance is not normal for these caps. Anybody else
    have this prob? I know the 8KHA+ had this problem.
    Dave

    Antec SLK3700BQE case
    P4 2.8 ghz
    2 - 256 meg PC3200 crucial, dual channel
    Zalman CNPS7000Cu cooler
    Antec trupower 430 w psu
    Radeon 9600
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    36 gig Raptors Raid 0
    Maxtor slaves
    Win2K SP2

    Zed, Jan 9, 2007

  2. Zed

    dave Guest

    Any mainboard made about that time has the problem. And yes, bulging and
    leaking beige substance will definately cause lockups or failure to boot.
    You can order the caps from Mouser and replace them yourself if you're good
    with a soldering iron. That's what I did. Epox will exchange it for a
    small fee. There are also people on the web that will fix it for a fee.
    http://www.badcaps.net/

    DaveL

    dave, Jan 10, 2007

  3. Zed

    Zed Guest

    I can do the soldering Dave. Do you favor any particular cap
    brand/types? Thanks.....
    Dave

    Zed, Jan 10, 2007
  4. Zed

    dave Guest

    My 8RDA+ that I replaced the caps on has performed perfectly ever since.
    It's what I'm typing on right now. I only replaced the green caps because
    those were the ones that were failing. The black ones were all ok. The
    greens were a different brand than the blacks. No doubt that particular
    brand was junk. Just make sure you order the proper uF, voltage and lead
    type. Mouser is a good website to buy from. They have a great selection.
    I don't think brand makes that much of a difference. I bought Nichicon brand
    but all the brands that Mouser carries are good quality. Good luck. It's
    not an easy job.

    DaveL

    dave, Jan 10, 2007
  5. Zed

    Zed Guest

    I have done fine soldering work like that and the main problem seems
    to be desoldering. The joints are too small to use a regular vacuum
    tool. Did you use anything special? Can't say I'm crazy about
    de-soldering wick. I'm sure some googling will yield some answers but
    I thought I'd ask.
    Dave

    Zed, Jan 10, 2007
  6. Zed

    dave Guest

    I used what I had which was a 18 watt chisel tip soldering iron, a spring
    loaded solder sucker and solder wick.

    DaveL

    dave, Jan 10, 2007