4x or 8x DVD burner + USB 2.0 + external enclosure = ?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by GRL, Dec 22, 2003.

  1. GRL

    GRL Guest

    Has anyone gotten an after-market USB 2.0 enclosure to work well with a DVD
    burner that is capable of 4x or 8x operation?

    If yes, which brand of enclosure and which burner?

    Is Firewire a better bet for this sort of thing? My own experience seems to
    indicate that the Plumax USB 2.0 enclosures do not work well with DVD
    burners, although they work very well with HD's and CDRW's.

    - GRL

    "It's good to want things."

    Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist,
    Visual Basic programmer)

    GRL, Dec 22, 2003

  2. I've got a Pioneer 106D in a Coolmax black aluminum enclosure. Works a
    treat. Burns a full Ritek Orange/Purple DVD in 14-15 minutes.

    My personal experience with Microsoft Windows is that USB 2.0 is superior to
    Firewire in every way. Methinks Firewire is poorly implemented in Windows.

    Colon Terminus, Dec 22, 2003

  3. GRL

    ñKs Guest

    Which case you using?

    ñKs, Dec 22, 2003
  4. Really? I've always heard, and several articles I just looked up concur,
    that Firewire is faster throughput than USB2.0.

    http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=firewire+vs+usb

    http://www.usb-ware.com/firewire-vs-usb.htm

    <<Question: Which is faster Hi-Speed USB 2.0 or FireWire?
    Answer: In sustained throughput FireWire is faster than USB 2.0.
    FireWire vs. USB 2.0 Hard Drive Performance Comparison
    Read and write tests to the same IDE hard drive connected using FireWire
    and then Hi-Speed USB 2.0 show:

    Read Test:
    5000 files (300 MB total) FireWire was 33% faster than USB 2.0
    160 files (650MB total) FireWire was 70% faster than USB 2.0

    Write Test:
    5000 files (300 MB total) FireWire was 16% faster than USB 2.0
    160 files (650MB total) FireWire was 48% faster than USB 2.0 >>

    http://www.firewire-1394.com/firewire-vs-usb.htm

    <<
    Question: USB 2.0 is faster than FireWire...right?
    Answer: No, actually FireWire is faster than USB 2.0.
    Question: Hold on...USB 2.0 is a 480 Mbps interface and FireWire is a 400
    Mbps interface, how can FireWire be faster?
    Answer: Raw throughput rating numbers alone don't tell the whole story, as
    explained below.
    Performance Comparison - FireWire vs. USB 2.0
    Read and write tests to the same IDE hard drive connected using FireWire
    and then USB 2.0 show:

    John Seeliger, Dec 23, 2003
  5. GRL

    TommyDale Guest

    While I doubt the accuracy or neutrality in the test lab, the new
    Firewire 800 should prove fastest eventually. This is a "leapfrog"
    industry, and someone always has to be fastest, whether it is
    practical or not. Users should go with what works best for them at
    the best price.

    The answer to the original question is, "Why not buy a drive enclosure
    that does both firewire and USB 2.0?" Personally, I purchased a new
    external drive that uses 10/100 ethernet and USB 2.0. Made by Ximeta,
    it can be used as a network attached storage unit via ethernet, or a
    second drive via USB 2.0.

    TommyDale, Dec 23, 2003
  6. Model CD-510B-U2.

    Colon Terminus, Dec 24, 2003
  7. GRL

    Eric Gisin Guest

    While I doubt the accuracy or neutrality in the test lab, the new
    Firewire 800 should prove fastest eventually. This is a "leapfrog"
    industry, and someone always has to be fastest, whether it is
    practical or not. Users should go with what works best for them at
    the best price.
    [/QUOTE]
    Nope, Firewire is already faster than USB2. Last benchmark I saw reported
    33MB/s for USB2 and 38MB/s for Firewire 400.

    I've never seen USB do better than FW in a proper benchmark.

    Eric Gisin, Dec 26, 2003
  8. GRL

    Graham Mayor Guest

    For the purpose of this exercise it is irrelevant which is the faster as
    both comfortable encompass the requirements of optical drives.

    Graham Mayor, Dec 26, 2003
  9. GRL

    John DeGroof Guest

    I have an external hard drive with both USB2 and 1394 in an ADS case.
    1394 is about 30-40% faster than USB2 transferring the same backup set
    with the same software.

    John DeGroof, Dec 27, 2003
  10. GRL

    Louise Guest

    Plextor told me today fireware is also a little more
    stable. And after packing up my new Plextor USB to return
    to the store, I think that may be the case :)

    Louise, Dec 30, 2003