5 beep error code: DFI AD72 Rev.A2 motherboard

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by War_Pig5, Jan 6, 2004.

  1. War_Pig5

    War_Pig5 Guest

    I checked groups.google.com, but couldn't find the answer to this question:

    The pc speaker makes 5 short beeps then the system automatically shuts down.
    Nothing is displayed on the monitor. LED1 (near the ram) glows red during
    the boot (as does the other LED by the last pci slot... but that one is
    always on).

    This problem occurred after installing a Cooler Master MGT8012MB cpu fan in
    place of the smaller stock 7200 rpm ran.

    I looked up 5 beep error code, but only found an answer for AMI BIOS (cpu
    failure) & according to the manufacturer, this board has an Award BIOS.
    There's no sticker on the bios chip that I can see. Is there any other way
    to id the bios on an unbootable machine like this one?

    I tried another power supply, reseating mem&video card. Will reseat then
    swap out cpu next. Lets say the cpu cracked, as I am told can happen to
    these chips when monkeying with heavy-duty heatsinks and springs. How could
    I know that? is the crack typically visible, and if so what is the telltale
    sign?

    Hardware specs:
    DFI AD72 Rev.A2 motherboard
    GeForce 2 Ti (Gainward)
    1 256M 266MHz DDR DIMM
    WD 800JB
    Teac CD-RW
    CD-Rom & Floppy drive

    War_Pig5, Jan 6, 2004

  2. War_Pig5

    Pen Guest

    Pen, Jan 6, 2004

  3. War_Pig5

    steven67@ Guest

    ..

    This motherboard has CPU Fan Protection. It can be enabled or disabled in BIOS
    setup. If it's enabled, the processor fan is monitored to see if it is
    spinning. If the fan is not spinning, or if the fan's sense line is not
    connected to the CPU Fan connector, the board will beep and shutdown.

    Does the fan have a 3-pin connector with a sense line, and is it connected
    correctly to the CPU Fan connector?

    steven67@, Jan 7, 2004
  4. War_Pig5

    War_Pig5 Guest

    The pc speaker makes 5 short beeps then the system automatically shuts
    down.
    yes x2. However, it is a low-rpm 80mm fan which replaced the original 60mm
    7200rpm one. Maybe it is simply producing too low an rpm reading to satisfy
    the mb that it is working properly. I'm working on recovering the original
    fan from the bonehead (not myself) who did the fan swap.

    Thanks, and I'll post here again if the original fan doesn't do the trick.
    -rs

    War_Pig5, Jan 7, 2004
  5. War_Pig5

    War_Pig5 Guest

    5 short beeps then the system automatically shuts down.

    Plugging in the original fan allowed the system to boot.
    Then I turned off the fan alarm in the BIOS, then swaped the new fan back.
    Now everything is working fine.

    Thanks for the advice.

    <rant>must the different bios makers give different meanings to the same
    beep code?</rant>

    -War_Pig5

    War_Pig5, Jan 8, 2004