    in 1 chipset driver version 5.0+. If I make this video card work,
    next step is a Promise ATA 100 controller card and new harddrive.
    thanks again for any help.

    birdsgears, Apr 3, 2004

  2. birdsgears

    Roger Hunt Guest

    My Herc KyroII behaved in a similar way when I used the CD drivers, fine
    with later ones.
    How about driverguide.com for these older drivers? Has been useful to me
    in the past.
    If you haven't been to the site before, the generic username/password
    are "drivers" and "all".

    Good luck

    Roger Hunt, Apr 3, 2004

  3. birdsgears

    Kylesb Guest

    If you are desperate, I have kept the 3.68 and 5.22 det drivers around
    for quite some time (still using one of them, don't remember which).
    I could set you up with a d/l link, or DCC them to you in IRC if you
    like. Sizes are 1.5 and 2.4 meg approximately for the entire driver
    packages. Both driver sets were very stable for my usage. I have a
    TNT2u based card in my 503+.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kylesb, Apr 3, 2004
  4. birdsgears

    Robert Guest

    The drivers from Nvidia should work fine since even the latest drivers
    support the TNT2 (http://www.nvidia.com/object/feature_uda.html).

    I also have several older versions of the drivers in the Win98 flavor (3.53,
    3.68, 3.84, 5.22, 5.30, 5.32, 6.31, 6.50, 12.41, 29.82, 30.82, 30.87, 31.00,
    31.40). So if you can't find what you want by googling, post which one you
    want here and I can make it available on Kazaa or by a direct download link.

    Also, considering that the card is used, it is possible that it is a
    hardware problem.

    Robert, Apr 3, 2004
  5. birdsgears

    birdsgears Guest

    thanks Roger, I tried the most likely driver off driverguide.com, no
    luck. Also proceeded with the latest driver from nvidia even though
    it looked like a Geforce driver, but it also supports the TNT2 chip,
    again, no luck. Reinstalled the latest VIA chipset drivers, again, no
    luck. this isn't looking good, thankfully I only have $23 and my
    time invested. Perhaps there is a problem with the card.

    birdsgears, Apr 3, 2004
  6. birdsgears

    birdsgears Guest

    thanks Kyle for your offer. I've now tried several different drivers,
    no luck. for now, I going to see if anyone else responds, and search
    this board a little more.
    walt

    birdsgears, Apr 3, 2004
  7. birdsgears

    Robert Akins Guest

    Well, just looking here on my hard drive, I have Nvidia drivers 21.83 and
    23.11 for Win98/ME, and 30.82 for XP. I believe they are all inclusive
    unless Nvidia has changed their policy which should be posted somewhere,
    still I know the first 2 will work because I used them. I did not put XP on
    the 503+ so I don't know about the 30.82 version (used with a GF2MX440 in a
    different machine). If you can't find them send me an email (fix my email
    address as necessary) and I'll send them to you if you have a broadband
    connection (they're pretty big).
    Robert

    Robert Akins, Apr 4, 2004
  8. birdsgears

    Den Guest

    Den, Apr 4, 2004
  9. birdsgears

    birdsgears Guest

    Hi Robert,

    thanks for your offer. I forgot to mention I'm running Win2K. I'm
    using the latest drivers for just about everything. I am beginning to
    think that if the card isn't bad, there is a combination of Bios
    settings that could solve the problem. I don't want to mess with the
    bios settings since it took a lot of time to optimize the computer's
    performance with the present settings. But, this computer has been
    running too well for quite a while, I needed to change something for
    an excuse to mess around some more.
    Walt

    birdsgears, Apr 4, 2004
  10. birdsgears

    Mark T Guest

    Hi Walt,

    I have a 503+ and a v770 working fine. IIRC, I installed the latest
    driver for it recently from nvidia, so I think they are backward-
    compatible.

    I'm be happy to list all of my bios settings if you want to rule
    that out. Of course, it'll have to be later, when I'm home :)

    Send me an email if you're interested - markts at charter dot net.

    Mark

    Mark T, Apr 5, 2004
  11. birdsgears

    A.Boretz Guest

    Hi Mark, Walt, and FIC fans.

    Like Walt (and others who've said so recently) I also appreciate
    this message board being around. And, as soon as I get up the
    courage and make the time for it, I'm going to reach out here for
    help installing and overclocking an AMD-K6-III+ 450MHz chip I
    got for my 503+ board. Probably mid-April.

    Meanwhile, I've been watching Walt's thread with great interest
    as, some time ago, I too had Viper 770 "issues" on my 503+.

    In my case the system would run fine for a time and then artifacts
    would begin to appear throughout the display (just like the old
    "Starry Night" screen saver) until the OS (Win98) would eventually
    freeze and I'd have to reboot.

    Many unsuccessful driver updates, a JE4330 flash, and a few BIOS
    adjustments later I eventually just gave up, pulled the board, and
    got a used ATI Rage Fury Pro which has been running fine ever
    since I installed it. (all this, by the way, happened back in 2003,
    before I discovered this forum or I certainly would have checked
    in here first before throwing in the towel)

    But I still wonder to this day if there was something else I could
    have done to get that Viper 770 to stabalize and run clean. So,
    yes Mark, please list your BIOS settings when you have the time.
    That would be very instructive.

    And, Walt, one of the last areas I was looking into before I gave up
    on my Viper card had to do with something I read on The Net
    concerning driver conficts between Diamond brand modems and
    their video cards. See, I have a Supra 2260 PCI SupraMAX 56i
    installed and, if what I read is true, then maybe my SupraMAX driver
    was getting in the way of the Viper somehow? Anyway, I dunno if
    you're even running a Diamond brand modem or not, but I thought
    I'd mention something just the same.

    In any case, good luck!

    -Alex

    A.Boretz, Apr 6, 2004
  12. birdsgears

    birdsgears Guest

    Howdy Mark,
    Yes please regarding your bios settings. I found another person's
    bios settings from a post in 2002 along with some other ideas from
    other dated posts but haven't had the time to test them out. It looks
    to me that when the TNT2 chipset based cards came out, some users had
    no problems and others experienced a lot of trouble, so there must be
    something to figure out. I'll send you an email from home this
    evening and thanks for the offer.

    walt

    birdsgears, Apr 6, 2004
  13. birdsgears

    birdsgears Guest

    Hello,
    thanks for your input, I have K6 III+ 450 overclocked to 550 so when
    you're ready, let me know and I'll send you the motherboard and bios
    settings that work for me. I was just speaking with our computer guru
    here at work, he maintains that given the screen problems I am having,
    (the card works but creates shadows across the screen from dark text
    and lines) the video card is probably shot. I haven't given up yet.
    walt.

    birdsgears, Apr 6, 2004
  14. birdsgears

    birdsgears Guest

    to the board followers, this is an update to my problems with the
    Diamond card. I tried everything but soaking it in the kitchen sink,
    including changing all my bios settings to match a user of the same
    card. No luck. As a last resort I tested the card in a Dell PIII
    400Mhz that was running a similar Diamond card and you know the
    results, the same bad video. I'm contacting the seller to see about a
    replacement. Thanks for your input.
    walt

    birdsgears, Apr 9, 2004