    win 98. Also what ar recommended drivers (MS or via).
    Any aopinios and comments appreciated
    Thanks

    Leo Tick, Jul 27, 2003

  2. Leo Tick

    Robert Akins Guest

    My 503+ has a Promise Ultra66 PCI IDE controller in it; No issues at all
    that I can remember; the Ultra100 should work just as well. You can use the
    onboard IDE channels for CD-ROMs, CDRWs, tape backups, etc, and reserve the
    Ultra100 IDE channels for hard drives. Install the card first with nothing
    connected to it and let Windows detect it and install the drivers. Power
    down the system and move your hard drive(s) to the Promise controller (be
    sure and use 80 conductor cables). Go into BIOS and set the boot sequence
    to boot first from a SCSI device (which is what Win98SE will recognize it
    as), save changes and reboot, and you're in business. I'm not sure what
    you're asking about the drivers- If you're talking about the VIA IDE
    drivers, with Win98 or later you should use the MS drivers. You should
    however use the VIA 4-in-1 drivers, either the latest version or the most
    recent bug free. This is for chipset and AGP support. When you run the
    install it gives you the option which drivers to install, just uncheck the
    VIA Busmaster IDE driver.
    Robert

    Robert Akins, Jul 28, 2003

  3. Leo Tick

    Leo Tick Guest

    I think you covered it nicely espeially the stuff about scsi
    would have never thought of that. Thanks

    Leo Tick, Jul 28, 2003