503+ jumper help! (puzzle)

Discussion in 'FIC' started by Aron Hubbard, Jan 10, 2004.

  1. Aron Hubbard

    Aron Hubbard Guest

    Hello,
    I bought my 503+ in 1998. My manual is for version 1.1 of the
    board and I have version 1.2A. After a few years I upgraded and gave
    this computer to my grandmother. Now she's upgraded and I have it
    back. It had a k6/2-333 in it, but I found a k6/2-450 to use. I can
    not get it to boot with the 450!

    Here's the original jumper settings:
    CLK1: 1-2
    CLK2: 1-2
    CLK3: 1-2
    CLK4: 2-3

    FREQ1: 1-2
    FREQ2: 2-3
    FREQ3: 2-3

    SDRAM1: 2-3
    SDRAM2: 2-3
    SDRAM3: 2-3

    So I guess I have 66mhz RAM in there. I understand there's two
    k6/2-450's versions(?) BUT I only had the 333 heatsink. I had an old
    2500+ heatsink laying around, so I used that for the 450. It was
    EXTREMELY difficult to get on, and I'm afraid I can't get off now
    without damaging the board, so I can't read which version it is.

    I went to http://home.t-online.de/home/kai_kramer/503+.html and found
    the jumper settings there, but I'm afraid I don't understand the
    RAM-Speed and Divisor setting. It lists:

    RAM SPEED: AGP = SDRAM1 1-2 and CLK4 2-3 OR
    CEF = SDRAM1 2-3 and CLK4 1-2 (no other options)

    However my original settings setup was 2-3 and 2-3.(??)

    Can anyone make sense of this mess?

    Aron Hubbard, Jan 10, 2004

  2. Aron Hubbard

    Ben Myers Guest

    Ben Myers, Jan 11, 2004

  3. OK, I can think of several things to try. First, set the motherboard to
    run at 2x66 @ 2.4V. AMD K6-x processors interpret a 2x multiplier at 6x,
    so you will really be running at 6x66 = 400 MHz. Since you have a
    heatsink/fan from an Athlon XP 2500+, heat from the higher voltage will
    not be a concern in the short term.

    2x/6x multiplier:
    FREQ1=2-3
    FREQ2=1-2
    FREQ3=1-2

    66 MHz FSB:
    CLK1=1-2
    CLK2=1-2
    CLK3=1-2
    CLK4=2-3

    66 MHz SDRAM:
    SDRAM1=1-2
    SDRAM2=2-3
    SDRAM3=2-3

    2.4 V:
    VR 3-4

    If this works, then try the "regular" settings for a K6-2 400 (4x100),
    but with 2.4 V instead of 2.2 V. This will test whether your RAM will
    work at 100 MHz or not.

    4x multiplier:
    FREQ1=2-3
    FREQ2=1-2
    FREQ3=2-3

    100 MHz FSB:
    CLK1=1-2
    CLK2=1-2
    CLK3=2-3
    CLK4=1-2

    100 MHz SDRAM:
    SDRAM1=2-3
    SDRAM2=1-2
    SDRAM3=2-3

    2.4 V:
    VR 3-4

    If the memory works at 100 MHz, try increasing the multiplier to 4.5:

    FREQ1=2-3
    FREQ2=2-3
    FREQ3=2-3

    If the memory does not work at 100 MHz, there are two possibilities. One
    is to run the FSB at 100 MHz and the RAM asynchronously at 66 MHz. I
    know the manual says not to do this, but I have done it myself and it
    works fine.

    100 MHz FSB:
    CLK1=1-2
    CLK1=1-2
    CLK1=2-3
    CLK1=1-2

    66 MHz RAM:
    SDRAM1=1-2
    SDRAM2=2-3
    SDRAM3=2-3

    Another possibility is to run both the FSB and RAM at 75 MHz, with a CPU
    multiplier of 2x/6x:

    2x/6x multiplier:
    FREQ1=2-3
    FREQ2=1-2
    FREQ3=1-2

    75 MHz FSB:
    CLK1=1-2
    CLK2=2-3
    CLK3=1-2
    CLK4=1-2

    75 MHz SDRAM:
    SDRAM1=2-3
    SDRAM2=2-3
    SDRAM3=2-3

    There is also the possibility that your motherboard may just not support
    the K6-2 450, if it does not have the "EO037" sticker. If that is the
    case, you may have to make do with however fast you can manage to make
    the CPU run.

    Finally, once you have figured out how to get the CPU to run, try
    lowering the voltage back down to 2.2 V. If the computer does not boot
    or is not stable, then chances are you probably have a 2.4 V part:

    2.2 V:
    VR 5-6

    Hope this helps.

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Jan 12, 2004
  4. Aron Hubbard

    farmuse Guest

    could be it needs 2.4v, check those jumpers. also I have noticed
    some motherboards don't change easily, esp fsb. once ran for a while at
    one bus its hard to get them to switch to another. have seen this. very
    odd, mostly older boards, but newer ones have done the same thing. I
    wouldn't have put the 2500+ hsf on there, not necessary, but its on
    there now ! actually I have a 333 and runs like a champ in a DFI board
    that is very similar to the 503+. I am sure you can get the 450 running.
    what ram is installed ?

    farmuse, Jan 12, 2004