5200 and 1680x1050 on DVI

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Guest, Aug 31, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have a MSI Geforce FX 5200 here and I have just got a new LCD monitor, an Acer AL2216W which has a native resolution of 1680x1050 and I'm having issues getting the monitor to run at that resolution in Windows XP.

    So I hook up the monitor to the DVI port and turn on the computer. The video card drivers report that it detects the monitor with the name 'Acer AL2216W on MSI MS-StartForce GeForce FX5200', and that the recommended resolution is 1280x1024 which is incorrect. It gives me the following choices for resolutions: 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x720, 1280x960, 1280x1024, 1360x765, 1440x900

    I have the latest MSI drivers installed for the card vn4_disp ver6.14.10.7777 with bios version 4.34.20.16.06, as well as the latest officially supported drivers for the monitor (which is just a 2KB .inf file with the following mode line in it
    [AL2216W.AddReg]
    HKR,"MODES\1680,1050",Mode1,,"30.0-82.0,56.0-76.0,+,+"
    HKR,,ICMProfile,0,"AL2216W.icm"
    )

    Which tells me that it should pick the correct resolution automatically. But the resolution doesn't show up under the Diplay Control Panel even when the 'Hide modes this monitor can't support' checkbox is unchecked.

    Also, the Display Control Panel has an option under 'Screen Resolutions & Refresh Rates' for Adding a Custom Resolution And Refresh Rate. I enter the desired 1680x1050,32bit at 60Hz. Then when I try to switch to the resolution the screen goes blank. Even trying a different screen refresh rate doesn't make a difference.

    It does work at 1680x1050 on the VGA port. And while testing using the Ubuntu Live Linux CD the display is correctly detected while using the VGA port as well as when I plug it into the DVI port. So the display DOES support 1680x1050 on the DVI port as expected and it's down to a Windows driver issue.

    So I've also tried the latest Forceware drivers (ver91.31) from Nvidia instead and it still doesn't detect the display correctly or allow me to set a custom resolution (though I'm not sure if I have all the options correct while using the new control panel).

    Any idea what is wrong with the video card and why I can't set the correct resolution in this monitor while using DVI?

    Guest, Aug 31, 2006

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Well after playing around with the custom resolution settings a bunch
    more I've now got it working. It looks like under the Custom Timing
    Advanced dialog I set the Timing standard to 'CVT reduced blank' and now
    it works correctly at 1680x1050.

    Guest, Aug 31, 2006

  3. Guest

    dressed4dinner

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Exactly how did you make it work?

    It works for my laptop at 1680x1050; but when I hookup the desktop DVI, the highest resolution is 1280x1024...

    dressed4dinner, Apr 22, 2007
  4. Guest

    jaxelrod

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    DVI Native Resolution--Solution Verified

    It looks like under the Custom Timing
    Advanced dialog I set the Timing standard to 'CVT reduced blank' and now
    it works correctly at 1680x1050.

    This solution worked perfectly for me on DVI. Thanks!

    jaxelrod, Apr 30, 2008