    with 256MB of RAM.
    THX in advance.

    Steve

    Steve, Feb 14, 2004

  2. Steve

    Darthy Guest

    Should ask before ya buy...

    256mb 5600 is no faster than 128mb version... a little slower than
    5600Ultra.

    http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-charts-03.html#unreal_tournament_2003

    BTW, try out the UT2004 demo at www.unreal.com - clickon UT2003 -
    click on big UT2004 DEMO graphic - includes 5 maps... from the
    console in the game (press ~ key) type in STAT FPS to see your
    performance.

    Report back... if ya want ;)

    Darthy, Feb 14, 2004

  3. Steve

    Steve Guest

    What about overclocking this card? Would it then approach the Ultra's speed?
    I am soon getting a Dell Dimension XPS which is coming with a stock 5200
    card and I am going to put the 5600 in it.

    Steve, Feb 14, 2004
  4. Steve

    Darthy Guest

    Perhaps...

    Why get a Dell? Paying for a card that you're gonna pull out?

    Spend less on a better computer - put money into better card.

    Darthy, Feb 14, 2004
  5. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Well I was going to have them (Dell) put the ATI 9800XT in the new system,
    but it jacked up the price beyound what my wife and I had budgeted for a new
    computer. As far getting a Dell it's the only company that my wife and I
    trust. We have had bad experiences either personally or professionally with
    the other major computer manufacturers. So we opt for Dell. I know alot of
    people who don't like Dell but I guess it's just a matter of personal
    preference.

    Steve

    Steve, Feb 14, 2004
  6. Steve

    Xeon Guest

    See,
    This is when it helps to have the knowledge<SP> to build your own system...
    I myself would NEVER buy a system from ANY major manufacturer... as things
    get to proprietary, and fixed. It is so much easier to just build your own,
    that way you get the mobo you want, the memory you want the video you want,
    and the drives....... granted waranty chasing is a hastle if you have a
    problem, but if you go with good stuff..... you shouldn't need the warranty
    and it should go out dated b4 the warranty expires :) just my humble
    opinion......
    And, if ya dont have the confidence to build your own... give me a call ;)
    I'll do it for ya!!!!!

    {SFU}xeon

    Xeon, Feb 14, 2004
  7. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Xeon,

    It's not that I don't have the knowledge to build my own. It's the money.
    I was going to do that but
    buying all the components separately and then putting them together would
    have cost me more money. I live in a place where computer components aren't
    readily available. And I don't trust mail order very much.

    Steve, Feb 14, 2004
  8. Steve

    Mark A Guest

    Try www.newegg.com

    However, I think that Dell makes very good (and very quiet computers) for
    the money.

    Mark A, Feb 14, 2004
  9. Steve

    Gordieee Guest

    Aye, if you know what you're doing! Also, it doesn't work out much cheaper
    than the major brands now-a-days as they can afford now to drop their
    prices, as the competition in the p.c market has widened an extreme amount
    in the last year alone

    Gordieee, Feb 14, 2004
  10. Steve

    Gordieee Guest

    I squish yoO tooO! TOO!!

    Gordieee, Feb 14, 2004
  11. Steve

    llamaboiz Guest

    Ok, never read most of the posts cuz the word, Dell, stopped me... Dude,
    dont get a Dell or any other teir1 company rig... just go to some boutique
    get a price quote on a custom, take that to compusa and have them beat the
    price. Only companys to get pre-fab rigs are Voodoo/Falcon
    North-West/OCSystems thats it... didnt forget, dont even get Alienware,
    build your own thats faster/cheeper/a real case *with real vents*...

    Doh, anywayz you should've thought about the 5700Ultra DDRII VIVO... oh
    well..

    llamaboiz, Feb 14, 2004
  12. Steve

    DaveW Guest

    You stated the differences fully.

    DaveW, Feb 15, 2004
  13. Steve

    Darthy Guest

    Dell doesn't actually build their computers anymore - for years its
    some Chinese company who designed and builds them to Dells price
    points. Nothing more. Didya know that Dell and Gateway notebooks
    get farted out of the same Chinese factory ;)

    The 9800xt is not worth it... the 9800Pro is almost $200 now... as are
    the 5900s.

    So... you could save some money, buy an AMD setup from a good company
    such as Alienware, northwest, and a few OTHER gamer companies and get
    the video card... and THEY sell AMD setups, knocks off about $150 off
    the price for the upper end.

    Darthy, Feb 16, 2004
  14. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Okay after reading all these helpful posts, I called Dell and told them to
    put an ATI Radeon 9800XT video card in my new system. After reading reviews
    on both the 9800XT and the Geforce FX 5950 ultra, I feel this will be in my
    best interest. THX to all who responded!

    Steve

    Steve, Feb 16, 2004
  15. Steve

    Gnu Guest

    It won't cost you any more if you buy OEM, especially when you're
    getting exactly what you want. Very few of us actually need fancy
    retail packaging and filler, and you'd be amazed at how much you save in
    the process.

    Don't be afraid of buying online. I sure as heck trust most of the
    places I deal with online a heck of a lot more than I do most
    brick-and-mortar retailers. Just do plenty of research, and use common
    sense.

    Gnu, Feb 16, 2004
  16. Steve

    Darthy Guest

    I'd have canceled the order and looked elseware for a computer -
    perhaps even Alienware - and then stick in a 9800Pro - save $300.

    Darthy, Feb 17, 2004