5770 has arrived

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Lewis, Oct 8, 2010.

  1. Lewis

    Lewis Guest

    First thing, this card is HUGE. it easily weighs three times waht the
    8800GT weighs.

    Fitting it into my 2006 MacPro was a little tricky as the card is quite
    long. A little wiggle and a little coax and I got it it jsut fine. Took
    longer to unpluge the peripherals and move the Mac Pro than it took to
    get the card installed.

    Fired up the computer and everything worked, though I'd hooke dthe
    primary monitor up to the DVI, and the bootloader treats the MDP as
    primary for booting, so I had to switch the two cables.

    The card has two MDP ports and one DVI. I have a 1680x1050 20" and a
    1920x1080 24" hooked up to it.

    First thing I ran was WoW, turned everything up to Ultra (higher than I
    would run the game) and was getting 30-40fps in a crowded Dalaran.

    Running WoW beta I can only put the graphics are "fair" and quite a lot
    of features can't be enabled until 10.6.5 is released. I manually turned
    up the range and some other settings to high and was still getting
    50-90fps.

    At the same time, I was displaying 720p video on the second monitor,
    full screen.

    Lewis, Oct 8, 2010

  2. Wow, that's a nice result. I've never got anything other than a
    slideshow at WoW's highest settings on iMacs' video cards. Wish I could
    afford a Mac Pro :)

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 8, 2010