    less than three months then I'm guessing it will only get worse.

    Is there a retail 5770 with a quality fan, or do you have to resort to
    aftermarket solutions if you want a quiet system?

    Foke, Jun 12, 2010

  2. Foke

    KCB Guest

    My question would be "Why has the noise level changed?" Is it out of
    balance, or is there dust/debris caught in it? Did you change the fan speed
    control through your drivers, or maybe are using programs that stress the
    card more than before? Figure out WHY it's louder, then base your decision
    on that. If it was a cheap fan to begin with, then definitely switch it out
    for a better, aftermarket solution. If it's something else causing it, then
    address the specific cause.

    KCB, Jun 12, 2010

  3. Foke

    Foke Guest

    My guess is that ATI's partners are using cheap fans and the reason the
    noise level has changed is because the bearings are going south.

    Outside of the occasional game, I don't do much to stress the vid card.
    The driver keeps it at 35% fan speed and I haven't changed that, except to
    lower to 20% to verify that it's indeed the vid card fan that's making the
    noise. I regularly inspect the inside of the case for dust buildup, so
    it's not that, but even if I were not cleaning it regularly it shouldn't
    have developed a noise-inducing whine after less than three months.

    I just wish Nvidia would step up to the plate and get some decent,
    competitive cards on the market. I've always used Nvidia products in the
    past, but when I built my current system there just wasn't anything in the
    midrange market to compete with ATI in terms of performance vs heat
    production. And it's not just the evidently poor manufacturing quality
    that disappoints... the drivers leave a lot to be desired as well.

    Foke, Jun 13, 2010