5900 to 5950 Ultra - Leadtek owners

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Nom, Jul 13, 2004.

  1. Nom

    Nom Guest

    Nom, Jul 13, 2004

  2. Nom

    GTS Guest

    What improvement in performance do you get with the 5950U BIOS? I keep
    thinking of trying this with my Aopen 5900 but I am too chicken to do it!

    GTS, Jul 13, 2004

  3. Nom

    Nom Guest

    Well you go from 5900XT performance, to 5950 Ultra performance :)
    I've not bothered to do any benchmarking, but the 5900XT clockspeeds are
    400/750, and the 5950U clockspeeds are 475/950 - a sizeable jump !
    You have nothing to lose. If it doesn't work, then just flash your old BIOS
    back.
    Use "WFFLASH.EXE S" to save your existing BIOS (it saves as SAVEOLD.ROM -
    rename the file straight away, and put it somewhere safe - it gets
    overwritten each time you flash !)

    Then "WFFLASH.EXE NM BIOS.ROM" to flash the new BIOS. I must have flashed
    mine 30 times when I was testing them all out, and every single flash went
    just fine.

    Worst case scenario is that your card won't boot after flashing. In which
    case, just slap a PCI graphics card in aswell, boot to it, and flash your
    old BIOS back from there.

    Nom, Jul 13, 2004
  4. Nom

    GTS Guest

    OK thanks for the info. P.S. I don't have an XT - I have the original 5900
    which is clocked at 400/850 and using the Nvidia auto-overclock feature I
    get 450/970 stable so still not sure I will see much difference...
    BTW even with this overclock I see no difference in, say, games like Far
    Cry - the FPS stays exactly the same. But I think using the Nvidia
    auto-overclock it alters the speed based on temp etc? Not sure though.

    GTS, Jul 14, 2004
  5. Nom

    GTS Guest

    Another idea I've read, for those without PCI video, is to create a boot
    floppy that automatically runs the flash program and contains the original
    BIOS, in case it goes pear-shaped!

    GTS, Jul 14, 2004
  6. Nom

    Nom Guest

    You will be able to go a lot higher than that with the 5950U BIOS. It raises
    the cards core voltage by 0.1v and backs off the memory-timings very
    slightly - you'll probably be able to get well over 520/1040 with your card
    !
    It also speeds up the fan slightly, so your actual card temp usually drops !
    I don't have any concrete information on the Auto Overclock I'm afraid.

    Nom, Jul 14, 2004
  7. Nom

    Nom Guest

    Not sure if you'll be able to actually boot the system without a PCI GFX
    card inplace, if your AGP card is pooped ?
    Any old PCI card will do though - just pick one up from eBay for £1 :)

    Go on - give yours a go ! I'm very happy with mine :)

    Nom, Jul 14, 2004
  8. Nom

    CapFusion Guest

    Flashing the nvidia BIOS, you do not need to see anything to be able to
    flash it ROM as long as the batch file on the floppy is correct.

    CapFusion,...

    CapFusion, Jul 14, 2004