    as 6.0. Is this ok ? Is it possible with the 5EAS Board ?
    Thanks !
    B. Frilling

    B. Frilling, Oct 4, 2003

  2. B. Frilling

    Winesap Guest

    In fact you can install an AMD K6-2/450 MHz.cpu.

    Set the mobo to 75 Mhz. bus speed and a 2x multiplier. (75x6=450)

    There are a couple of things you need to be aware of. First, you need to have
    the EAS-1B1 BIOS installed. If your mobo doesn't already have it, the it can
    be downloaded at: http://www.soyo.com.tw/downloads/filedesc.php?id=1138

    Also, if you are running Win95, you also need to download and install the AMD
    K6-2/350 patch for Win95, BEFORE you install the new CPU. If you don't, you
    may a have a devil of a time getting back into Windows to run the update. You
    can find the update at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUSe
    rvicePacks/AMDPatch/Default.asp.

    Other than that, just double-check that the core voltage settings are correct,
    and enjoy the new speed.

    One additional tip. I also removed all of the 72-pin SIMMs memory and
    installed a single 128 mb DIMM. I found that while this mobo doesn't cache any
    system memory above 64 mb, I wasn't able to see any performance degradation
    either. But I wasn't trying to run a combination of SIMM and DIMM memory,
    despite the owner's manual stating otherwise.

    Winesap, Oct 12, 2003