6 in 1 USB card reader Causing Bios Boot Hang (MOBO GA-8KNXP)

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by dave, Aug 22, 2005.

  1. dave

    dave Guest

    After MANY hours of troubleshooting, with help from others (see post
    below), I was able to determine that my USB 2.0 6 in 1 Card Reader is
    causing my bios to hang for a very long time (2 minutes plus). It
    seems this is a common issue - as I have found reading other posts,
    however I have not yet been able to find a solution.

    I have a Gigabyte GA8KNXP (rev 2.) motherboard and this problem
    occurred when I upgraded my Bios (to fix another issue). After
    installing 'ANY' bios newer then version FE the long boot problem
    occurs. If I revert back to Bios FE it works fine. Unfortunately for me
    I can't use Bios version FE b/c it doesn't recognize my CPU correctly.

    As I've come to understand, the problem is that during the BIOS system
    test - the USB card reader is recognized as a bootable drive and the
    BIOS scans each individual drive waiting for a "timeout" (this eats up
    two minutes).

    Has anyone using this board found a solution? Is there any way to
    disable this feature so the bios will not see it as a bootable devise?

    If there is no solution, is there another 3 1/2 internal bay card
    reader that will work and not cause this problem?

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group...gabyte/browse_thread/thread/4858d49795536d2a/

    dave, Aug 22, 2005

  2. dave

    dave Guest

    Does anyone have an internal USB Card reader that is working with this
    mother board and doesn't cause the boot hang?

    I'm working with Gigabyte to try to get them to put out a BIOS update
    to give the user the option of booting from USB devices.

    dave, Aug 25, 2005

  3. dave

    Adrian S Guest

    Booting from USB would be very useful