    logic was right or wrong and maybe I should have gotten the 533 since xp
    is a long way in the future, if at all.

    good thing breakfast was easier to choose this AM.

    lucky, Dec 23, 2003

  2. lucky

    Eric Guest

    800 all the way. Always buy with future-proofing in mind.

    You can run an 800 at 533, you can't run a 533 at 800.

    Buy the 800.

    Eric, Dec 23, 2003

  3. lucky

    Ben Pope Guest

    I'd agree... It's task dependant, but I would generally go for the 800.
    Windows XP? What does that have to do with it?
    I think that as long as you have 200MHz RAM you're laughing.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Dec 23, 2003
  4. Well, to run DDR400 ram at 1:1 you need a 800fsb cpu, so hey, not like your
    losing any ability ;)

    Philip Callan, Dec 23, 2003
  5. lucky

    lucky Guest

    I thought I had read that hyper threading needed XP. I don't really
    care about it now - plus I hear there isn't much out there now that
    takes advantage. But in the future, maybe. Anyways I'm glad I went with
    the 800 now after reading the posts. I likened the difference in the 2.4
    vs 2.66 to the difference between my current 433 upgrading to, say, a
    700. Doubt I'd even notice.

    lucky, Dec 23, 2003
  6. HT will require an OS that recognizes it, which currently is XP
    Home/Professional Windows 2000 Professional, and Linux (may be other
    bsd/*nix variants as well obviously)

    Philip Callan, Dec 23, 2003
  7. lucky

    Ben Pope Guest

    Not only does it need to recognise it, you may require a licence for it to?
    I think most Pro versions of Windows 2000 won't allow it? Not really paid
    much attention since the P4 does not interest me.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Dec 23, 2003
  8. I dont think the home/personal variants of windows 2000 recognize HT, but
    seeing as
    the home variant of XP does, they do offer an alternative.

    Pity, the P4 may not do the FPU work of a amd, but i use my computer almost
    daily for
    capturing video via firewire and working in adobe preimere, then burning
    DVD's and for
    encoding video, i must say the P4 kicks ass, short of a 3.2EE, couldnt get
    much better for me ;)

    Philip Callan, Dec 23, 2003
  9. There's some truth to that; Win2k will *work* with HT but the scheduler
    isn't SMT aware and will treat the virtual CPUs like real ones (i.e.
    SMP), which leads to performance penalties. With Win2k or even older
    OSes (like NT 4.0), I'd leave HT off.

    Stephan

    Stephan Grossklass, Dec 23, 2003
  10. lucky

    DaveW Guest

    You made the right choice, and picked the faster processor.

    DaveW, Dec 24, 2003
  11. lucky

    lucky Guest

    damn I'm good and don't know it LOL. I know how to build and
    troubleshoot most any problem on my 'old' machine, but all this talk
    about HT and SMT and stuff makes me realize how out of the loop I am. I
    actually surfed through the manual online today for the m/b and that
    sure is a lot of M/B to master. I'm happy with stock speed and don't
    anticipate overclocking or anything fancy.

    Thanks again for all your inputs and I'm sure I'll be asking plenty more
    on here.

    lucky, Dec 24, 2003
  12. lucky

    harry Guest

    HT rocks with my 3.0c & p4p800-d & win xp

    It's almost like i have to seperate cpu's )

    harry, Dec 24, 2003