    machine will be used for 3D CAD work only

    regs
    DJ

    Clanger, Jan 18, 2004

  2. The 60GB 7200 rpm drive is *really* nice! <g>
    --
    Rich Cervenka
    Chicago, Illinois, USA

    Rich Cervenka, Jan 18, 2004

  3. Clanger

    Joan Hansen Guest

    The 60 gig 7200 rpm. Much faster HD.

    Joan

    Joan Hansen, Jan 18, 2004
  4. Clanger

    HH Guest

    I "third" the vote for the 60/7,200 drive. Got one in my 4550. Very fast
    transfer rates. Should be just the ticket for CAD work. The 5,400 would
    likely slow you down for CAD.

    HH

    HH, Jan 18, 2004
  5. Clanger

    Clanger Guest

    thanks all, the 60/7200 it is then

    looks like a big order on Monday then

    DJ

    Clanger, Jan 18, 2004
  6. Clanger

    Marc Guest

    Hi,
    In my opinion , i would go for the 7200 rpm hard drive. You'll give up
    the 20 gigs less of storage but you'll gain faster output. I would
    always chose the 7200 over the 5400.

    Marc

    Marc, Jan 18, 2004
  7. I have 2 x80gb drives, a WD Caviar @ 7200 and a Maxtor @ 5400 but the
    relative read/seek write/seek times are identical according to the
    manufacturer's specs.

    How does that work?

    The lovely Dawn Killick, Jan 18, 2004
  8. Clanger

    HH Guest

    Read/write seek times are one thing. Transfer rate is another. A 7,200 rpm
    drive will have a higher sustained transfer rate, often 50% higher or more
    10,000 rpm drives (SCSI) are even better.

    HH

    HH, Jan 18, 2004
  9. Clanger

    Tom Orle Guest

    My nickels worth - get a 7200 rpm drive with 8meg cache like the WD JB
    series (the BB series only has 2meg cache). They'r getting dirt cheap
    Best Buys had the 120gig WD1200JB on sale 3 weeks ago for $69 - they
    may do it again.

    The extra cache makes a noticeable and measurable difference!
    A lot more than going from ATA 100 to ATA 133.

    -=tom=-

    Tom Orle, Jan 18, 2004
  10. Clanger

    Tom Scales Guest

    Except that he's buying a laptop! (M60). Somehow that got lost in this
    thread.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jan 18, 2004
  11. Clanger

    Tom Orle Guest

    Ooops - sorry. Missed that part ;(
    -=tom=-

    Tom Orle, Jan 18, 2004
  12. Clanger

    Joan Hansen Guest

    But you are Oh so right? I have the 7200 w/8 meg cache and use original
    HD as backups with Ghost on both my Dimension 8200 and 8300. That cache
    makes a great difference.

    Joan

    Joan Hansen, Jan 18, 2004
  13. 7200 rpm or 10000 if you can use it

    Peptic_Sheriff, Jan 19, 2004
  14. Clanger

    Tom Orle Guest

    10000 prm units are usually rather noisy!
    -=tom=-

    Tom Orle, Jan 19, 2004
  15. Clanger

    Tom Scales Guest

    Who makes a 10,000 rpm drive for a laptop?

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jan 19, 2004
  16. I didn't realize it was a laptop,, and I don't know

    Peptic_Sheriff, Jan 19, 2004