6110 Officejet ejects blank pages only.

Discussion in 'HP' started by boreen, Feb 17, 2005.

  1. boreen

    boreen Guest

    This printer was working fine. I got a new computer and installed the
    latest HP all in one drivers from the web, device was recognized and
    test page was OK. I noticed it wouldn't print from windows applications.
    It would start and just eject a blank page. The windows test page also
    resulted in a blank eject. The HP toolbox can talk to the printer and
    *it* prints the diagnostic page fine. Scan and copy from the panel works
    fine, and get this: there is a networked Linux printer and it prints out
    fine to the shared windows printer!
    It is not a cable or hardware problem.
    I also have a networked Lexmark printer and lexmark software. There is a
    printer on a lan switch (not attached to any computer) This printer
    works fine.
    I tried the HP uninstall applet and reinstalled. I reverted to the
    original drivers from the CD that came with the printer. No luck.
    I installed HP 550c drivers from windows and this allows me to print.
    I am running up to date WIN XP home SP2.
    How can a Linux box work as a SMB share but not the local printer?
    Why does the 550C driver work, not the 166MB HP download?
    Why does the HP toolbox test page work, but anything from a windows
    application or the test page just turns up a blank?
    Could there be a conflict with Lexmark drivers?
    Before I had both coexisting on an old computer running XP PRO.

    Thanks for any help!

    boreen, Feb 17, 2005

  2. boreen

    Thomas King Guest

    Hi. I'm not an expert, but I'm a network engineer. My experience is in large
    servers and networking, but I have the same machine. I don't run XP pro but
    I've heard there are a lot of problems with that OS and other computer
    items. I would try to get the Lexmark off and just try the HP drivers. I use
    Win2000pro and have no trouble. It does print a blank sheet sometimes after
    I print a word or pdf document, but that's my fault. Sometimes you have a
    hard enter symbol at the top of the last page and windows sees that as
    another page. It may be blank, but it still "prints" the blank page. So
    check that all docs really end where you want them too. You might try
    removing all printers and if it asks you if you want to remove the drivers,
    say yes. Then reinstall the HP only, using the CD that came with the
    printer. My printer was newer, so I used the CD rather than risk Pro not
    having it. But XP is newer and should have the driver in its database of
    drivers. I don't know what else to tell you. I've seen virus programs crash
    each other, but I have 3 printers, all HP, on my home network of 4 computers
    and have no problem. Good luck.

    Thomas King, Feb 17, 2005

  3. boreen

    Ben Myers Guest

    I'll answer one of your questions: "Why does the 550C driver work, not the 166MB
    HP download?" Two reasons.

    First reason. Simplicity vs. complexity. You said it yourself. The 166MB
    download.

    Second reason. Luckily, HP's printer engineers keep adding to their PCL
    standard, rather than turning it upside down and redoing it completely. At
    least they deserve credit for this, even if they tend to screw up the newer far
    more complicated printer software.

    One other thing. You can save yourself a little money on printer ink by also
    installing the monochrome DeskJet 600 drivers for the printer. With the
    standard color DeskJet drivers, color inks are consumed even if you are only
    printing black & white text... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 17, 2005