    it makes no difference. I've even tried an old GF2 card incase the agp slot
    didn't like running the GF5.

    Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

    Mal, Oct 1, 2003

  2. Mal

    mike Guest

    Might need a little more info about your video card. Who makes it? Is it AGP
    or PCI?
    I had a similar problem involving a machine using onboard video. I
    installed the PCI version of a GF2. It did the same thing. I figured out
    that it was the power supply. You will have to have at least a 250w power
    supply to use your new video card. The power supply in PCs of your type are
    usually of very poor quality and low wattage. Look at your power supply.
    There should be a label with the wattage listed.

    mike, Oct 1, 2003

  3. Mal

    Mal Guest

    it's an Asus AGP GF5 card ... I'm pretty sure the PSU is over 250w but I'll
    check it to make sure.

    Mal, Oct 1, 2003
  4. Mal

    mike Guest

    I remember there being something in Windows XP itself that caused some
    problems for me. I did manage to successfully install an NVIDIA TNT2 M64 on
    the same computer but had the same problem again, but it wasn't due to the
    power supply. I wasn't able to get the TNT card to work with the onboard
    video disabled at first. After physically installing the TNT card, I left
    the monitor connected to the onboard video. After I got into windows, I
    installed the drivers for the new card, restarted. Went back into windows
    again using onboard video, went into display settings, now it showed both
    cards were there, represented by two monitors. I selected the TNT card as
    the primary display, turned off the computer, connected the monitor to the
    new card, started up, and it worked fine. I hope this helps you.

    mike, Oct 1, 2003
  5. Mal

    Mal Guest

    no ... there's no way I can get it to load XP with an AGP card installed,
    either the GF5 or an old GF2 I had lying around. I've tried safe mode,
    normal mode and vga mode ... always the same result ... it looks ok upto the
    XP loading screen with the blue scrolling bars then a black display. I've
    seen on MSI's web site a bios update which cures intermittent black display
    when loading XP so I'm going to give that a go ... I'll let you know what
    happens.

    Mal, Oct 1, 2003
  6. Mal

    Mal Guest

    checked the psu and it's 300w even if it had been 230w or maybe less it
    shouldn't have stopped it working with the GF2 I also tried ... there's no
    option to have both the onboard and AGP card running at the same time,
    installing an AGP card automatically disables the onboard orange status LED
    on the monitor when connected to the onboard while an AGP card is installed.

    The GF5 works fine while loading XP upto the point where the XP logo screen
    with the blue scrolling bar goes off, then it just stays showing a black
    screen instead of moving on to the logon screen even though there is still
    HD activity suggesting that XP is loading as normal.

    Mal, Oct 1, 2003
  7. Does it boot into XP's safe mode? Safe mode loads only the basic Windows
    VGA drivers and you might then be able to check or reinstall the device
    drivers for your video card.

    Homer J Simpson, Oct 2, 2003