64-bit 9200SE 64MB on Samsung 940BF?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Cuzman, Sep 13, 2006.

  1. Cuzman

    Cuzman Guest

    I'm moving off to university on Sunday. Before going I decided to clean
    the dust from inside my PC and change the fan on my 9700 Pro AIW for a
    Zalman ZM80A-HP. http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=5

    It was a bitch getting the standard ATI fan off. Unfortunately I had to
    get quite violent with the card by breaking and hammering out the two
    little notches.

    Once the Zalman was on and I rebuilt the PC I found that the display was
    just a jumble of strange colours. I could only just make out the
    desktop as it loaded, and I was only just able to shut the system down
    normally.

    Several reboots didn't solve the problem, so I swapped the 9700 Pro AIW
    for the only other card I have in the house: a 64-bit 9200SE 64MB.

    My worries don't end there. Not only do I not have a working 9700 Pro
    AIW, I now have a much worse card and I have just entered the world of
    the LCD (because a CRT is too huge to take to university). Will my
    64-bit 9200SE 64MB be able to run my new Samsung 940BF?
    http://www.samsung.com/Products/Monitor/LCD_Digital/LS19HADKBEXAA.asp

    I won't get the chance to try it until I'm at university. I only tested
    the Samsung 940BF with my 9700 Pro AIW before it was packed up and
    shipped off in advance to my new home.

    I know that the 64-bit 9200SE 64MB can't run games for shit. It's not
    that the 9700 Pro AIW was a great card by today's standards, but it ran
    the 2/3 year old games I play successfully.

    Cuzman, Sep 13, 2006

  2. Cuzman

    First of One Guest

    Why didn't you drill a few speed holes while you were at it? You know, to
    make the card faster...
    Yes, it'll be fine. 1280x1024 doesn't pose a problem for any card nowadays.

    First of One, Sep 13, 2006

  3. Cuzman

    Cuzman Guest

    First of One wrote:

    " Why didn't you drill a few speed holes while you were at it? You
    know, to make the card faster... "

    Yeah I know, but you can't seem to get those pins off without starting
    to get brutal.

    Cuzman, Sep 13, 2006
  4. Cuzman

    First of One Guest

    You know you had to pull out two "plungers" in the center of the pins, on
    the front of the card, before squeezing the "hooks" on the back, right?

    It's an undocumented "feature". On my 9800 Pro, I noticed it after breaking
    off each plastic pin with pliers.

    First of One, Sep 13, 2006