65nm 'Falcon' X360 50% cheaper to manufacture - future 45nm X360 may enable a smaller, redesigned X

Discussion in 'ATI' started by AirRaid, Jul 19, 2007.

  1. AirRaid

    AirRaid Guest

    65nm 'Falcon' X360 50% cheaper to manufacture - future 45nm X360
    could result in a smaller redesigned Xbox360 ala PSOne & PSTwo

    http://tinyurl.com/2qwggu

    I'm sure everyone is well aware of the issues regarding the 360's
    internal design shortcomings and the problems that it can cause.
    Microsoft's reputation as a console manufacturer has been severely
    tarnished over recent months after rumours of a 33% hardware failure
    rate (aye right!) and the following knee jerk reaction to extend the
    360's warranty up to 3 years.

    Today, word escaped from Asian component manufacturers that Microsoft
    have accelerated the planning for the redesigned Xbox 360 mainboard.
    Project 'Falcon' as it's known internally aims to reduce the size of
    the main console components such as CPU & GPU from the standard 90-
    nanometer process down to 65-nanometer. Smaller components mean less
    power is required to drive the console which has the benefit of
    producing less heat. There is no information available at the moment
    to suggest the GPU will be moved from it's current troubled location
    directly under the DVD-ROM drive.

    Another outcome from the redesign, and possibly a more important
    factor is a reduction in costs. Moving from 90 to 65 nanometer
    fabrication could in fact reduce component costs by a staggering 50%.
    A price cut from Microsoft later in 2007 is widely expected and should
    place the 360 in a good position as we move forward in to the festive
    season. I would expect to see a cut of around 20% of RRP sometime
    between September and November when the 'Falcon' 360's are set to
    arrive on store shelves.

    Looking a little further ahead, Microsoft are expected to move to a 45-
    nanometer process which will reduce component size still further. Once
    this happens, we could expect to see a properly redesigned unit along
    the same lines as the PSOne and PSTwo released by Sony. Hell, they may
    even stick the power-brick in side.

    posted to ATI, AMD, IBM news groups because these companies designed
    the Xbox 360's
    CPU & GPU, and are working with Microsoft on producing smaller &
    smaller chips, which are manufactured by IBM, TSMC and possibly in the
    future, AMD fabs.

    the success of Xbox 360 is important to both IBM and AMD.

    AirRaid, Jul 19, 2007

  2. AirRaid

    mr deo Guest

    It might be Important to IBM and AMD..
    It's doubtful anyone in any of the newsgroups you posted to works for AMD or
    IBM.. but if they do they would know about the 360 in ways we (or you)
    dont..
    X360's faults are currently poor design and microsoft has said that every
    unit has the same fault and every unit will die of that fault (some may last
    a long time however)....

    I dont see why it's important to IBM or AMD other than the fact they they
    are going to make money out of it. At the end of the day it's a Microsoft
    (by design spec) Product and if it fails no one will blame IBM or AMD....
    and if it does great I doubt IBM or AMD will be gettings lots of free
    chocs..

    mr deo, Jul 20, 2007

  3. AirRaid

    krw Guest

    Don't doubt it.
    Hmm, there are *no* other failure mechanisms? There is some
    speculation that the real problem is related to ROHS. Anyone see
    anything on this? IMO, we're all going to see it in the PC biz.
    As long as customers aren't so PO'd that they stop buying them.

    krw, Jul 20, 2007
  4. AirRaid

    mr deo Guest

    Hmm, there are *no* other failure mechanisms? There is some
    well.. Little birds are saying that it's a fault with the soilder (of all
    things) and to save money they had cut the budget with the type and quality
    they were using.. I guess it could have been a ROHS type of restriction as
    well, until M$ spill the beans on the fault fully we'll never know (unless
    someone goes out to buy 20 and test them all)..

    I know that M$ have said that the unit needs a good regulated mains supply,
    and that there is a LOT of talk about some of these "dead" units working
    after they cool down, but then stopping again after they get warm (that
    would kinda fall in line with a bad joint).. shrug....

    all I know is I dont have one of these, but in a couple of years I'll
    download a x360 and ps3 and wii (poo serial numbers on those lol) emulator
    and slap the games on my (then) 5tb SS Storage array
    :p

    mr deo, Jul 21, 2007
  5. AirRaid

    krw Guest

    Bad solder would strongly implicate ROHS.
    Mains supply (in the US) is supposed to be within 5% of 120V.
    You have a *lot* of faith in Moore, eh?

    krw, Jul 21, 2007
  6. AirRaid

    John Lewis Guest

    Moore has been shown the door by Ballmer.

    Hopefully Ballmer did not throw a chair as Peter left.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Aug 1, 2007