    pretty seamlessly built however.

    Any ideas?

    'cid 'ooh

    poopdeville, Dec 21, 2005

  2. A very common problem. I think it is a design flaw.
    Not really. I just bought a new one, but... if you do that get a 3rd
    party one or you'll probably have to do it again. :-(

    P.S. The *REALLY* nasty related problem is when the pin breaks off and
    the broken part gets stuck in the receptable on the powerbook. Darn near
    impossible to get out.

    The first time that happened on my daughter's, the powerbook was still
    under warrantee, so I sent it back to Apple. But they claimed that the
    pin breaking off was a sign of misuse. I think its a design flaw that a
    laptop requires such care to avoid pressure on the power plug, but what
    was I going to do? Sue Apple? (The answer to that is "no"). They wanted
    $700 to fix it (replacing the whole motherboard). Ouch!!! :-( :-(

    The second time it happened, :-( I bought a replacement DC-IN board
    (from pbfixit.com), which is all that is really needed, and replaced
    that myself. I'm reasonably comfortable with replacing components, but
    let me tell you, that was a bad one. You have to take *EVERYTHING* apart
    to get to the darn DC-IN board. I was seriously surprised that it worked
    when I got everything back together. I think I spent the same $700 in
    sweat. :-(

    Richard E Maine, Dec 22, 2005

  3. Just slice into two matching halves, using a sharp utility knife. Peel
    back the pieces, and do more cutting as necessary. It may help to soak
    the plug in very hot water for about five minutes, to make it more
    flexible. After you've done the electrical repair, use any of the "glues
    all plastics" kind of adhesives to stick the thing back together.

    As a preventive to exactly that problem, I bought a tube of "Goop"
    (brand name for some kind of rubber-in-a-tube), and molded a tapered
    strain relief for about an inch near the plug (looks kind of like an
    ice-cream-cone around the cable). If you spit on your fingers, you can
    easily mold that stuff to shape before it dries. If your fingers aren't
    wet, you'll be attached to your work forever 8^}

    Isaac

    Isaac Wingfield, Dec 22, 2005
  4. poopdeville

    Al Guest

    I can't tell you how to fix it, but I can tell you how to prevent that
    in the future. A lot of cables do not have adequate strain relief at the
    point that the cable enters the connector. I use "Goop," a commonly
    available adhesive here, to make a tapered strain relief. It works for
    me. After I found out the hard way.

    Al

    Al, Dec 22, 2005