    Anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance,
    Ray

    Ray, Oct 19, 2003

  2. Ray

    Elector Guest

    "Ray" <> wrote in message
    news:M6zkb.2272$...
    > I have an old machine with a PB680 motherboard. I'd like to be able

    to use
    > this system for simple tasks and would like to be able to network it

    to our
    > other PC's (all newer).
    > It appears that there are 3 PCI slots on the (IDE?) board (the only

    board
    > that comes off of the motherboard, P/N: 52f53 Rev.C). I have

    upgraded the
    > machine to Windows 98, and I have attempted to install a networking

    card in
    > one (and the each of the three) PCI slots. With the card installed,

    the
    > system will not boot. When I remove the card, the system boots

    right up.
    > Anyone have any suggestions?
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Ray

    Hi Ray, that card that comes off of the motherboard is called a riser
    card. On first glance I would say you need to load the drivers for the
    NIC card in order for it to be seen.

    Many things can cause this situation and the first is that the card
    may be defective. Did you try it in another computer?
    Secondly it is possible that when you install a NIC card it may need a
    certain IRQ/DMA and usually the setup disk will tell you if it is
    available and how to move things around to get the card to work. (3
    Com has such a set up disk)

    The placement of the NIC card in the computer is not dependent on
    which PCI slot you use. Any available spot will do in most cases but
    the IRQ's are important.
    If you had USB you can try a USB NIC (Free on most cable systems) and
    that takes care of that situation.

    Elector

    Elector, Oct 19, 2003

  3. Ray

    G Guest

    "Ray" wrote: "I have an old machine with a PB680 motherboard. I'd like to
    be able to use this system for simple tasks and would like to be able to
    network it to our other PC's (all newer). It appears that there are 3 PCI
    slots on the (IDE?) board (the only board that comes off of the motherboard,
    P/N: 52f53 Rev.C). I have upgraded the machine to Windows 98, and I have
    attempted to install a networking card in one (and the each of the three)
    PCI slots. With the card installed, the system will not boot. When I
    remove the card, the system boots right up. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance,"

    Ray, I have an old PB that uses the 680 mobo. I installed a Linksys NIC with
    no problems. (My model has a riser card with 3 ISA slots [typically longer
    black slots] and 2 PCI slots [typically shorter white slots]. It is
    connected to my network and broadband via a Netopia router. The card
    "should" not prevent your system from booting and even without the correct
    driver, Win98 should detect the new hardware and prompt you to install a
    driver. Did you install the NIC vendor's driver software before you
    installed the card?

    ============
    Practice safe tinkering and always wear a grounding strap.

    View the UPDATED FAQ for alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell

    G, Oct 19, 2003
  4. Ray

    Guest Guest

    Ray: Please ignore and excuse the inappropriate behavior of elector.

    He is the troll of this news group.

    Anyone else that is reading this, please kill file this person.

    He is being investigated by the New York State Police.

    He is being investigated by the Senior Management at the New York State Board of Elections.

    His behavior on this newsgroup shows a lack of respect for the law, for the rights of others, and the rights of privacy of others.
    ========

    Guest, Oct 20, 2003
  5. Ray

    G Guest

    Re: 680 MB PCI Question [Troll posted by A Grayson Walker-Ignore]

    Ray: Please ignore and excuse the inappropriate behavior of elector.

    He is the troll of this news group.

    Anyone else that is reading this, please kill file this person.

    He is being investigated by the New York State Police.

    He is being investigated by the Senior Management at the New York State
    Board of Elections.

    His behavior on this newsgroup shows a lack of respect for the law, for the
    rights of others, and the rights of privacy of others.

    Perhaps we should publish is name, address, and telephone numbers and bring
    this troll into the light of day.
    ========

    G, Oct 20, 2003
  7. Ray

    Elector Guest

    Re: 680 MB PCI Question [Troll posted by A Grayson Walker-Ignore]

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 08:48:12 -0400, "G" <> had this to say and I had to reply to it:

    ::Ray: Please ignore and excuse the inappropriate behavior of elector.
    ::
    ::He is the troll of this news group.
    ::
    ::Anyone else that is reading this, please kill file this person.
    ::
    ::He is being investigated by the New York State Police.
    ::
    ::He is being investigated by the Senior Management at the New York State
    ::Board of Elections.
    ::
    ::His behavior on this newsgroup shows a lack of respect for the law, for the
    ::rights of others, and the rights of privacy of others.
    ::
    ::perhaps we should publish is name, address, and telephone numbers and bring
    ::this troll into the light of day.
    ::========

    Yeah why don't you do that. It still will make you a lying troll, kook, president of no real
    international company and you still posess no valid Ph.D so please try your luck troll boy. Oh I
    noticed your personalities are coming out again in the guise of another morphing. You are a 100%
    LOSER. And you and I and everyone here knows it. And all you wrote above is still a LIE. Well we
    all know your a proven liar.

    Elector

    Elector, Oct 20, 2003
  8. Ray

    Elector Guest

    Re: 680 MB PCI Question [Troll Post by A Grayson Walker-Ignore]

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 08:25:55 -0400, <> had this to say and I had to reply to
    it:

    ::Ray: Please ignore and excuse the inappropriate behavior of elector.
    ::
    ::He is the troll of this news group.
    ::
    ::Anyone else that is reading this, please kill file this person.
    ::
    ::He is being investigated by the New York State Police.
    ::
    ::He is being investigated by the Senior Management at the New York State Board of Elections.
    ::
    ::His behavior on this newsgroup shows a lack of respect for the law, for the rights of others, and the rights of privacy of others.

    You still are a lying troll, kook, president of no real international company and you still posess

    Elector, Oct 20, 2003
  9. Ray

    Elector Guest

    Re: 680 MB PCI Question [Troll Post by A Grayson Walker-Ignore]

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 08:55:04 -0400, "G" <> had this to say and I had to reply to it:

    ::Ray: Please ignore and excuse the inappropriate behavior of G also known as many other morphed names.
    ::

    Elector, Oct 20, 2003
  10. Ray

    tonys Guest

    Just give the guy an answer........dam

    tonys, Oct 21, 2003
  11. Ray

    metronid Guest

    Re: 680 MB PCI Question [Troll Post by A Grayson Walker-Ignore]

    This is why I do not frequent this
    group as much
    I take no sides
    It is just childish

    metronid, Oct 21, 2003
  12. Ray

    Elector Guest

    Re: 680 MB PCI Question [Troll Post by A Grayson Walker-Ignore]

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 23:06:09 -0700, "metronid" <> had this to say and I had to
    reply to it:

    ::This is why I do not frequent this
    ::group as much
    ::I take no sides
    ::It is just childish
    And on that we do agree.

    Elector

    Elector, Oct 21, 2003
  13. Ray

    G Guest

    Re: 680 MB PCI Question - ignore he is an without any redeeming social value

    "metronid" wrote:

    This is why I do not frequent
    this group as much
    I take no sides
    It is just childish

    I appreciate your perspective, but what best characterizes elector is
    his lack of respect for the law and for the rights of others. This is
    consistent with the way Robb characterized him, when he compared him
    to the local bully in a low class bar.
    ========

    G, Oct 21, 2003
  14. Ray

    Elector Guest

    Re: 680 MB PCI Question - ignore A Grayson Walker he is a troll kook liar.

    "G" <> wrote in message
    > "metronid" wrote:
    >
    > This is why I do not frequent
    > this group as much
    > I take no sides
    > It is just childish
    >
    > I appreciate your perspective, but what best characterizes elector

    is
    > his lack of respect for the law and for the rights of others. This

    is
    > consistent with the way Robb characterized him, when he compared him
    > to the local bully in a low class bar.

    Robb spoke to our admin and he stated that you are a persistent and
    chronic complainer. He said FDN and the upstream has spoken to you on
    numerous occasions and that "they" have just about had it with your
    crap. Do I need to get our Admin to back up my statement? You will be
    shown for the loser and liar you truly are.

    Now go away little troll, no one here wants to view your garbage
    either from FDN or Google.

    Elector

    Elector, Oct 21, 2003
  15. Ray

    Elector Guest

    Re: 680 MB PCI Question - ignore A Grayson Walker he is a troll kook liar.

    Follow-UP Kook Boy is now posting from Google Groups and is now on
    BellSouth Net. Careful kook I may know someone on that ISP as well.
    Thank you FDN for getting rid of this troll and kook. I owe you one.

    Elector

    ########################

    From: (G)
    Newsgroups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
    Subject: Re: 680 MB PCI Question - ignore he is an
    without any redeeming social value
    Date: 21 Oct 2003 13:22:31 -0700

    10/21/03 16:53:37 IP block 68.158.234.75
    Trying 68.158.234.75 at ARIN
    Trying 68.158.234 at ARIN

    OrgName: BellSouth.net Inc.
    OrgID: BELL
    Address: 575 Morosgo Drive
    City: Atlanta
    StateProv: GA
    PostalCode: 30324
    Country: US

    NetRange: 68.152.0.0 - 68.159.255.255
    CIDR: 68.152.0.0/13
    NetName: BELLSNET-BLK14
    NetHandle: NET-68-152-0-0-1
    Parent: NET-68-0-0-0-0
    NetType: Direct Allocation
    NameServer: NS.BELLSOUTH.NET
    NameServer: NS.ATL.BELLSOUTH.NET
    Comment:
    Comment: For Abuse Issues, email . NO
    ATTACHMENTS. Include IP
    Comment: address, time/date, message header, and attack logs.
    Comment: For Subpoena Request, email
    with "SUBPOENA" in
    Comment: the subject line. Law Enforcement Agencies ONLY, please.
    RegDate: 2002-07-22
    Updated: 2003-05-05

    Elector, Oct 21, 2003
  16. Ray

    G Guest

    Re: 680 MB PCI Question Troll post by - no redeeming social value

    <SNIP> Nothing worth reading by elector (as usual).

    To all: elector is the bully and troll of this news group.

    To all: please add to your kill file.

    In a surprise move today, elector agreed to have his name, address,
    and telephone numbers published on this newsgroup.

    In a less surprising move today, as the New York State Police
    predicted, elector crossed over the line and made a threat. (We knew
    you would.)
    ========

    G, Oct 22, 2003
  17. Ray

    Drydem Guest

    "Ray" <> wrote in message news:<M6zkb.2272$>...
    > I have an old machine with a PB680 motherboard. I'd like to be able to use
    > this system for simple tasks and would like to be able to network it to our
    > other PC's (all newer).
    > It appears that there are 3 PCI slots on the (IDE?) board (the only board
    > that comes off of the motherboard, P/N: 52f53 Rev.C). I have upgraded the
    > machine to Windows 98, and I have attempted to install a networking card in
    > one (and the each of the three) PCI slots. With the card installed, the
    > system will not boot. When I remove the card, the system boots right up.
    > Anyone have any suggestions?
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Ray

    1. could you tell us what is the make and model of the
    network card that you are using? Did it come with
    installation software? (All PCI NIC that I've seen
    are plug-n-play but the NIC driver you need may
    not be a part of the Windows98 driver library).

    2. When the NIC card was installed at what part of the
    system boot process did your system stop at?
    Telling us at what point of the boot process
    that the system stopped can assist in determining
    what process failed/halted.
    If the system freezes during the Windows 98 startup
    (you see the Windows 98 banner) were you able to
    press F5 and startup in Safe Mode?

    3. Can you tell us if you are using Windows 98 or 98SE
    (second edition)? Knowing what software version
    you are using may assist in determining if your
    problem is related to a necessary software patch/fix.

    Drydem, Oct 22, 2003
  18. Ray

    Drydem Guest

    Re: 680 MB PCI Question [Troll Post by A Grayson Walker-Ignore]

    Elector <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 08:25:55 -0400, <>
    > had this to say and I had to reply to it:
    >
    > ::Ray: Please ignore and excuse the inappropriate behavior of elector.
    > ::He is the troll of this news group.

    > You still are a lying troll, kook,...

    Elector,
    You know flaming is a waste of time.

    Drydem, Oct 22, 2003
  19. Ray

    Drydem Guest

    "Ray" <> wrote in message news:<M6zkb.2272$>...
    > I have an old machine with a PB680 motherboard. I'd like to be able to use
    > this system for simple tasks and would like to be able to network it to our
    > other PC's (all newer).
    > It appears that there are 3 PCI slots on the (IDE?) board (the only board
    > that comes off of the motherboard, P/N: 52f53 Rev.C). I have upgraded the
    > machine to Windows 98, and I have attempted to install a networking card in
    > one (and the each of the three) PCI slots. With the card installed, the
    > system will not boot. When I remove the card, the system boots right up.
    > Anyone have any suggestions?
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Ray

    The Riser card for a minitower using a PC680
    has 3 ISA and 3 PCI[1]. However the PCI slot
    adjacent to the ISA slot shares control lines
    so that only one slot of the two slots can
    be used. So technically one can only use 3
    pci slots and 2 isa slots OR one can use
    2 PCI slots and 3 isa slots. Do you have any
    ISA cards installed on your PB680? If so how
    many and in what slots are they on? A possible
    problem might be the cohabiting of both share
    slots.

    [1]
    the exact wording of the PB680 riser card specs from
    http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/680.htm
    is...

    Riser Card :
    Desktop Case - 2xISA, 1xPCI, 1xPCI/ISA.
    Minitower Case - 2xISA, 2xPCI, 1xPCI/ISA

    Drydem, Oct 22, 2003
  20. Ray

    Elector Guest

    Re: 680 MB PCI Question [Troll Post by A Grayson Walker-Ignore]

    On 21 Oct 2003 19:22:10 -0700, (Drydem) had this to say and I had to reply
    to it:

    ::Elector <> wrote in message news:<>...
    ::> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 08:25:55 -0400, <>
    ::> had this to say and I had to reply to it:
    ::>
    ::> ::Ray: Please ignore and excuse the inappropriate behavior of elector.
    ::> ::He is the troll of this news group.
    ::....
    ::> You still are a lying troll, kook,...
    ::....
    ::
    ::Elector,
    ::You know flaming is a waste of time.

    Hi Walter:
    Yeah but in society there are rules and norms that should be followed. If this group allows all the
    kook posters like A Grayson Walker to come here and do the same then there is no group.
    just look at what this kook has done already. Many of regulars are either lurking or don't bother
    coming here because of this flame war. I know that many here had called FDN and spoke to Robb and
    many more sent in complaints to FDN and look how long it took to remove the troll from his service.
    Now its on Bellsouth and what is the first thing it does? Comes back here and posts more crap.
    You see the pattern? I have better things to do but I will make this group troll free if I have to
    send complaints to every ISP out there that gives them connectivity.

    Elector

    Elector, Oct 22, 2003