6800 Ultra ~ PSU ~ Raid (Need advice for PSU)

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by MJ, Oct 9, 2004.

  1. MJ

    MJ Guest

    I have been running my 6800 Ultra with no problems on my Antec 430, but when
    I hook up a couple more hard drives, I can't post to WinXP. (Or have other
    problems...) I have tried all kinds of configurations with my PSU cords to
    try and split the power evenly but nothing works. I have a lot of other
    periphs. connected as well.

    My question is, if I upgrade my PSU, how high of wattage should i go? and
    what are some reliable PSUs?

    willing to spend around $80 or so..... but I don't want a POS.

    TIA,
    MJ

    AMD xp2800
    GF6800 Ultra
    SBAudigy2
    Raid w/ 4 Hard drives

    MJ, Oct 9, 2004

  2. MJ

    DaveW Guest

    If you want to drive all that hardware and that video card, I would
    recommend nothing less than the Antec 550 Watt True Power.

    DaveW, Oct 10, 2004

  3. MJ

    MJ Guest

    Thanks.
    What about those power supplies that are PC-I express and Serial ATA ready?
    (I don't use either at the moment)... If I ever did use them in the future,
    would I have to upgrade to that kind of PSU or is that a marketing gimic???
    I am assuming you could just buy some kind of adapter cord....\
    Thanks again

    MJ, Oct 10, 2004
  4. MJ

    Cory Dunkle Guest

    Personally I've always like Enermax PSUs. They have always seemed to be of a
    very high quality and I've not had any trouble with them. I use them in all
    the high end computers I build.

    Cory Dunkle, Oct 11, 2004
  5. MJ

    tq96 Guest

    Personally I've always like Enermax PSUs. They have always seemed to
    Enermax rubbed me the wrong way with their quite loud "whisper" series.
    The other problem with most Enermax PSU's is that the rated power level is
    only valid when the PSU temperature is less than 25ºC. That's a
    temperature you're not going to see when the PSU is getting closer to the
    max load.

    "0 ~25ºC for full rating of load, decrease to 80% rating of load at 40ºC;
    decrease to zero Watts O/P at 70ºC"

    tq96, Oct 11, 2004