6800 variations?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by SL, Dec 30, 2004.

  1. SL

    SL Guest

    hello group,

    I have about 300$ to throw at new video card this weekend at my computer
    show. Their prices are usually on par with places like pricewatch and
    newegg for video cards. My credit card is hurting and Im not going using
    it this time for an online purchase.

    So, I have been an Ati user for a time now and see the new 6800 series of
    cards Nvidia has are nice performers. I currently use a 9800pro card.

    I am not as familiar with the Nvidia line and was hoping that you can let me
    know what the differences of that line are. I have done some reading and I
    think it seems to go like this:

    6800 LE
    6800 GT
    6800 XT
    6800 Ultra

    Is this a rough guide of worst to best in that line? Also, which one would
    be closest to my 300$ limit? It looks like a 6800 GT is the one Im looking
    at.

    Thanks for reading,
    SL

    SL, Dec 30, 2004

  2. SL

    elrod Guest

    well the 6800le has 8 pipelines and is around $250 128mb
    then the 6800nu {non ultra)$275-300 range 12 pipelines 128mb
    6800gt 16 pipelines faster ddr3 memory 16pipes $350-400 256mb ram
    6800 ultra 16 pipes, a little faster than the gt.. big bucks! 256mb ram

    I just currently bought a 6800 nu {non ultra} 128mb ram and I really like
    it.. cost me about $274 shipped to my door..I also upgraded from a 9800
    pro..pretty big difference at high resolution, and hi detail... overall I'm
    happy with the upgrade//

    elrod, Dec 31, 2004

  3. SL

    Cuzman Guest

    " Is this a rough guide of worst to best in that line? "

    Your order is somewhat incorrect, and there isn't an 'XT' in the 6xxx range.
    Read this thread: http://tinyurl.com/48ry9

    For $300 you can get a 6800, but probably not a 6800GT.

    Cuzman, Dec 31, 2004
  4. SL

    Bob Knowlden Guest

    I don't recall that a "6800XT" exists.

    The models I have heard of are:

    6800LE
    6800
    6800GT
    6800 Ultra

    (There's also the 6800 Ultra Extreme, but it is either rare or
    unobtainable.)

    I believe that the 6800LE has 8 pixel pipelines, the 6800 has 12, and the GT
    and Ultra, 16. The 6800 usually comes with 128 MB of GDDR memory, and the GT
    and Ultra usually have 256 MB of GDDR3 memory.

    There are standard configurations for each, but makers can depart from the
    standards. There are opportunities for nasty surprises, like a manufacturer
    could sell an Ultra that uses 2.0 ns memory rather than the usual 1.6 ns.
    (The difference might be small in practice, but it could be an annoyance.)

    I suggest checking at www.newegg.com. They list cards from a number of
    manufacturers. At $300 (US) and below, the fastest cards are vanilla 6800s.
    Newegg lists one 6800GT for just over $300, with 128 MB of GDDR memory: it
    sounds like it's essentially a 6800 with all 16 pipes active. (There are
    tricks to activate the additional 4 pipelines on a normal 6800, but success
    is not assured.)

    The full 6800GT is fairly popular, and some can be overclocked above
    ordinary Ultra speeds (400 MHz core / 1100 MHz memory). It might be worth
    getting if you can manage closer to $400.

    A 6600GT may be a better deal than a 6800LE. (Make sure to get the AGP
    version, not PCI Express.) Newegg has them for a little over $200.

    Newegg's prices are not always the lowest, but if you check Pricewatch, I
    doubt that you'll find ones that are much lower.

    Just to complicate things, you may also wish to consider the ATI Radeon X800
    family. The X800 Pro is supposed to be comparable in performance to a
    6800GT, although the X800 Pro only has 12 pipes. (Unfortunately, it is also
    comparable in price.)

    HTH.

    Bob Knowlden

    Bob Knowlden, Dec 31, 2004
  5. I had wanted a gt model but got a 6800nu for $247 shipped with a 30 mir.
    when comp usa had a sale a few weeks ago. Couldnt pass up such a good deal.

    I had a 5900 before and this definitely is a major improvement able to run
    at a high res with nice framerates. I opted to go the nu route just in case
    in a few months I might want to upgrade pci-e. So why drop $400.

    lonesw0rdsman, Dec 31, 2004
  6. SL

    McGrandpa Guest

    Not quite the correct order, and one is missing. Have a look at this
    'specs sheet' for GPU's.
    http://users.erols.com/chare/video.htm When you get down to the nVidia
    gpu's, the 6xxx series, start looking at buses and pixel pipes.
    6800 LE - 8
    6800 - 12
    6800GT - 16
    6800Ultra - 16