    played Doom3 without issue.

    Thanks,
    Andy

    Andrew, Jul 19, 2005

  2. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Update: I have upped the settings on Doom3 to Ultra and not seen any issues.

    Was the temporary display corruption which occured immediately after
    installing anything to worry about?

    Thanks

    Andy

    Andrew, Jul 19, 2005

  3. Andrew

    Dr Teeth Guest

    I got something similar with an ATi card...only manifested itself with
    3D games.

    I recon that the paste between the GPU and HSF was not too well
    applied (GPU got hot and produced artifacts) but spread when warm and
    all is well.

    I wouldn't worry if the card behaves well now.

    --
    Cheers,

    Guy

    Dr Teeth, Jul 19, 2005
  4. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Comments much appreciated. Guess I am a little nervous because the last
    6800GT I installed was completely screwed; corruption was blatantly evident
    and I couldn't even get into Windows.

    Thanks,
    Andy

    Andrew, Jul 19, 2005
  5. Andrew

    McGrandpa Guest

    Brand spanking new vid ram and registers clearing out. I've seen a few
    cards do that I've had lying around for a while too. Normally, after
    the first powerup, I don't see any of that again. I don't recall my own
    6800 GT AGP doing the like, but I wouldn't have been alarmed unless I
    saw it repeating what looks like corrupted video on subsequent boots.
    McG.

    McGrandpa, Jul 19, 2005
  6. Andrew

    McGrandpa Guest

    An afterthought, in the nvidia driver applet, check the temps. Mine is
    running 65C right now and I've just booted the rig up on getting home
    (kinda warm here yet). Ambient is 44C.
    McG.

    McGrandpa, Jul 19, 2005
  7. Andrew

    Dr Teeth Guest

    Unpowered ram has something to clean out?

    --
    Cheers,

    Guy

    Dr Teeth, Jul 19, 2005
  8. Andrew

    McGrandpa Guest

    Changing state. Like bits should have all been 0 but some are 1? In
    over 20 years of playing with this stuff, I've seen stranger things.
    And, when you put power to it, if the bits states aren't all default
    state? Clears to default I'd think. Most of us know very little of
    what actually goes on down there at the transistor level. Got a better
    thought about it? I'm all ears :)
    McG.

    McGrandpa, Jul 20, 2005