    prices. Both were supposed to come to market at
    $399.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Jun 12, 2004

  2. John Lewis

    jeff b Guest

    I sort of understand the logic of advertizing something you
    don't have, if it is at or below MSRP. But I REALLY don't
    get why a vendor advertizes something they don't have AND charges
    an absurdly high price.
    The 6800GT and the x800pro have a MSRP of $399, the
    6800U and x800xt are both $499. So the above prices are
    50-110 dollars overpriced. Of course numbers mean nothing
    when you have none to sell.

    Jeff B

    jeff b, Jun 12, 2004

  3. John Lewis

    Beowulf Guest

    One word: "preorder"

    This locks in the MSRP for the foolish early adopter " I got mine first
    and my system is faster, na na" crowd. As preorders flow in, vendors
    creep the price upward because of demand. Prices ONLY drop when demand
    and sales slacken, or when a new model comes out.

    Beowulf, Jun 12, 2004
  4. One word: "preorder"
    Heck, you'd be better off buying a whole system from a reseller such as
    Alienware that includes the card you want. Then sell off your existing
    system. That would seem like the most cost-concious way of doing it at the
    present time.

    Mr. Brian Allen, Jun 12, 2004
  5. John Lewis

    John Lewis Guest

    Newegg does NOT accept pre-orders. Ever. First-come, first serve,
    last-in, hard-luck when the item arrives in stock. They auto-notify
    the stock arrival by email if requested.

    Hence even more puzzling that they should advertise prices at all
    on out of stock items, except maybe to 'soften-up'
    customer-expectations.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Jun 12, 2004
  6. John Lewis

    First of One Guest

    From what I hear, a prototype Geforce1 went on eBay long before the cards
    were available. Bid amounts went into the $2000 range.

    First of One, Jun 13, 2004
  7. John Lewis

    Martin Guest

    I think Fred Bloggs bought one.