700/96 terminal and K260 server

Discussion in 'HP' started by Carlos Y??ez S., Oct 15, 2004.

  1. Hi to everyone,

    This message is not a temporal lapsus or the last part of "Back to the
    Future" :) :

    I'm trying to resucitate an HP K260 server, which has been stored for
    a couple of years. This beatiful machine is not alone: with it I have
    a 700/96 terminal.

    When I started the machine, it perfoms all the initial routine and
    ends with a "RUN FXXF" message on the display. So, it seems it's all
    O.K. but I cannot see a thing at the console.

    I've tried all the possible combinations I figured and read (in this
    group and websites) but i'haven't achieve the goal: i put the remote
    mode on and off and also tried with the Console and External Modem
    connectors.

    The cable I've used is null-modem kind (electrical and pin layout
    tests perfomed).

    I guess i should be able to access via telnet but unfortunately i
    don't the machine's IP (it's static).

    There's someone who has an idea and brings me hope? :)

    Greetings,
    Carlos Yáñez S.

    Carlos Y??ez S., Oct 15, 2004

  2. Hallo

    You might find the IP with "arp -a" if on the same ethernet segment.

    Yours, Hans Martin.

    Hans Martin Schwengeler, Oct 18, 2004

  3. If there's a graphics card in the box, remove it and the mouse/keyboard
    connected to the ps/2 connectors. Then the box should reset the console to
    the first serial port at reboot.

    urle

    urle - Uli Betzler, Oct 20, 2004
  4. Carlos Y??ez S.

    Rick Jones Guest

    what settings have you set on the terminal? is it in "remote" mode?
    default console settings on HP kit are 9600n8.

    just for grins, have you tried a non-null-modem cable? i'm not sure
    that the K class console stuff is still online at docs.hp.com, but I
    don't think that anything is terribly different from the newer boxes
    (apart from the use of the "W" cable to get three connects from a
    single DB25.

    rick jones
    - Rick Jones
    feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com but NOT BOTH...

    Rick Jones, Oct 20, 2004
  5. Hi,
    First of all, thanks for all! (all of you).
    I've succesfully logged into the machine via telnet. Despite its age
    and the long time spent off, the server is working OK.

    Unfortunately the terminal didn't show any signs of life. I've tried
    all your recommendations (except changing the cable: the previous
    manager assured me the null modem cable connection was right) but even
    a single character appeared on screen.

    The matter is that i need console access cause i'm going to update the
    OS.
    There's something else I can do from "inside" the machine (OS i mean)
    in order to check the configuration.
    (It seems it is a phy layer problem :-( ).
    Greetings,
    Carlos Yáñez S.
    carlos.yanez (at) gmail.com

    =?iso-8859-1?B?Q2FybG9zIFnh8WV6IFMu?=, Oct 28, 2004
  6. guess that means you aren't in the us to end a cable, best bet is to see
    if you can get a normal null modem cable working to a PC and then you
    can use a term emulator, dont use hyperterm.

    Alan D Johnson, Oct 29, 2004
  7. Carlos Y??ez S.

    CBee Guest

    For the 700/96, you need a straight cable, not the null-modem one. My set came
    with the origional one.

    You can use your null-modem to connect the HP-UX box to your PC and use
    hyperterm (or better).

    By head, I recall the settings should be 9600 baud, 8 bits, no parity, no stopbit.
    If there are any pointers (mice and such) or keyboards connected, it most-likely
    defaults to 'workstation'-mode and tries to use a (graphical?) display for console.

    btw: my root for info: http://www.openpa.net/, your machine is at
    http://www.openpa.net/systems/hawk.html.

    CBee

    CBee, Nov 1, 2004