    more voltage once it warms up? Any chance that replacing the tube will help?

    2. Any other ideas or suggestions?
    Thanks, JV

    John Vallelunga, Apr 30, 2008

  2. hmmm....Interesting.
    Well a new tube only costs $10 (+ shipping) so it is probably worth the
    gamble. Anyone else fix this the same way?

    JV

    John Vallelunga, May 1, 2008

  3. You might be on to something here.
    I tried a tube from another old display and, although it was not the
    right size, it did remain lit.
    I am going to order one now. Thanks
    jv

    John Vallelunga, May 2, 2008
  4. Well, I hope to be able to fix this myself. I ordered the tube already
    and it should be here by Monday. As it happens, I ordered it from
    Moniserv. I am used to taking things apart, and am an EE, so I am
    hopeful. The display I took apart to try the experiment was very
    simple...the tube assembly just slid right out....no skills necessary.
    I will let you know how it goes.

    JV

    John Vallelunga, May 3, 2008
  5. Well Sh!t! I got the tube today and I must admit this was a very
    difficult job. I am very used to working with microelectronics (over
    30years), but this had me pretty much beat. The tube on these is very
    difficult to remove. I was hoping for something much easier...like the
    display I took apart to test it. This 700m display is extremely
    difficult and without instructions, I would never attempt it again.

    On the bright side (no pun intended), I did manage to replace the tube
    and it did solve the problem of the light going off after a minute or
    so. So if you have this problem SEND YOUR UNIT IN for a tube
    replacement! The laptop works just fine now except for one minor
    problem that I caused. Somewhere in the process, and I have no idea how,
    I managed to crack the display in a corner. I now have a working
    display except for a big hole in the corner....but the other 95% works.

    Oh well. My wife has already ordered a replacement laptop (she did not
    think I could fix it) and it should be shipped this week. I guess this
    unit will go on ebay AS-IS. It would be a great server and it works
    great with an external monitor.
    What a bummer!

    John Vallelunga, May 3, 2008