700mhz emac ram question, will more ram help? What type?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Chrisr, Oct 19, 2004.

  1. Chrisr

    Chrisr Guest

    I have the original emac 700mhz with cdrom drive and no modem. I am
    running Jaguar with the latest update (I ran system update a couple of
    days ago). I have 256mb of ram and I was wondering if adding 512 mb
    of ram -128mb would make the emac
    1) boot faster - which isn't really a big deal as I almost never
    reboot the machine unless I run software update
    2 ) launch applications faster
    3) make safari render and scroll faster

    I have found some good deals for high density ram and I can't find any
    information on if it will work on this imac. DOes anyone have any
    experience running the 700/800 mhz emac with high density ram?

    Any help would be appreciated
    If life seems jolly rotten
    There's spmething you've forgotten
    and thats to laugh and smile and dance and sing!

    Chrisr, Oct 19, 2004

  2. Chrisr

    Jason Guest

    Do you ever get any messages related to memory on your mac? I recall that
    I once received a message that said something like this
    "Unable to open program due to like of memory".
    If you have recently received such a missage--install all of the RAM that
    your mac can handle. If not, don't bother until you receive such a
    message.
    However, if you can get a great deal on RAM--buy and install it. It never
    hurts to have all the RAM that your mac can handle.

    Jason, Oct 19, 2004

  3. Chrisr

    Steve Guest

    Very likely.
    Very likely.
    I always buy my ram from reputable dealers. Preferably from a company that is
    Mac knowledgable like Ramjet. It is entirely possible that you could find
    generic ram that would work on your machine. I don't consider myself enough
    of an expert to guarantee that the ram will work. I prefer to pay a slight
    premium for a company to know for me. Plus with the failure rate of ram, I
    prefer to deal with a company that will swap out bad ram willingly. I have
    had this type of experience with Ramjet.

    Steve

    Steve, Oct 19, 2004
  4. Chrisr

    MacGeek Guest

    256 just doesn't cut the mustard with Jag. I would definitely bump it up
    to 512. things will be much speedier.

    MacGeek, Oct 21, 2004
  5. Chrisr

    Kurt L Guest

    If you would like to get some sense of whether more RAM is going to
    actually help your situation, you can open Terminal and type in the
    command 'top' (without quotes). This will present you with a snapshot
    of what is going on with the virtual memory system; the thing to pay
    particular attention to is the number in parentheses next to pageins
    and pageouts, which is a count that is incremented whenever memory
    containing useful information has to be paged in/out, or
    retrieved/stored from/to the disk temporarily. If the numbers in
    parentheses often are non-zero, you will definitely benefit from more
    memory. Note that top will give you a live display that updates every
    second, so you can correlate activity to whatever it is you're doing;
    to quit the program type the letter q on your keyboard.

    See: http://arstechnica.com/reviews/01q4/macosx-10.1/macosx-10.1-7.html

    Kurt L.

    Kurt L, Oct 21, 2004