    The sata drivers are installed with Windows already because the pure
    sata drive will work fine.

    Anyone try anything similar or have any ideas? Thanks!

    Macy, Oct 3, 2005

  2. Macy

    Ben Myers Guest

    This is a difficult one. If you get a Promise IDE add-in card with its own
    BIOS, the system may try to boot from the IDE drive. I don't know. It depends
    on how smart the HP BIOS is.

    I've never messed with an IDE-SATA converter, but I am very skeptical. SATA is
    still somewhat in its infancy and not yet even directly supported by the Windows
    operating system, which is why you need to install the drivers from a CD if you
    install from scratch... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 3, 2005

  3. Macy

    Macy Guest

    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did think about getting an IDE controller
    card, but decided to take a shot with the adapter because it was
    cheaper and more space saving. They seem hard to come by too. They
    hadn't even heard of such a thing at the two places I went to in town.
    But it's good to know there are alternatives. I could just simply use
    the drive it came with, heck, it's big enough! But I always have to do
    something to make my world more complicated ;)

    Macy, Oct 3, 2005