    Zzyzx Guest

    Looking to do some video and audio editing. What 15" 7200rpm drive laptop
    would people here recommend?

    Zzyzx, May 2, 2004

  2. Zzyzx

    Tony Hwang Guest

    Hi,
    Have an external drive dedicated for that.
    My son has 100GB firewire ext. drive and he does video NLE, music
    recirding, etc. Works well. Our main desktop is toaster made for
    that with SCSI Raid. His laptop is Toshiba PIII 850MHz with 256MB.
    Tony

    Tony Hwang, May 2, 2004

  3. Zzyzx

    Dan Koren Guest

    Toshiba MK-5024GAY. 7200rpm, 16MB cache. And
    it is a lot quieter than the IBM/Hitachi 7K60.

    dk

    Dan Koren, May 2, 2004
  4. Zzyzx

    Dr Lou Guest

    Do you have data to document that the Toshiba MK-5024GAY, 7200rpm 16MB
    cache is alot quieter than the IBM/Hitachi 7K60?

    LG

    Dr Lou, May 4, 2004
  5. Zzyzx

    Guest Guest

    ( before e-mailing, remove "NOSPAM" from address )

    I recall reading threads in video/audio-related newsgroups where it
    was posted that AV work won't necessarily benefit from a larger HD
    cache. If I remember, it was pointed that the SYSTEM disk would help
    with a larger cache, but not an AV-dedicated secondary disk.

    If this reasoning really applies then the best would be to have the
    Toshiba as main HD with the Hitachi as second.
    But I also recall reading that access times are differen't.

    If you're not worried about portability, I'd say go with an external
    enclosure and a FireWire PC card, and get a much larger HD for the
    same price you'd pay for a 7k laptop HD.

    Guest, May 4, 2004
  6. Zzyzx

    Dan Koren Guest

    I hope you don't mind, but this is
    complete non-sense.

    In any case, 1 test is worth 1000
    opinions. Take the workload that
    is of interest to you and measure
    it.

    dk

    Dan Koren, May 5, 2004
  7. Zzyzx

    Guest Guest

    ( before e-mailing, remove "NOSPAM" from address )

    He inquired about AUDIO and VIDEO work, but wasn't specific as to how
    demanding is the kind of AV work he plans to do (multi-track ?
    stereo?).

    The argument that I offered was gathered from specialized newsgroups
    and is certainly directed to at least moderately demanding work.
    I don't have time now to research again the video threads that I've
    gone through, but here's a quick audio one from rec.audio.pro :

    "The drive cache has *very little* influence on long term continuous
    data throughput, as when recording audio.
    It will only help at all if the disk is fragmented."
    At: http://tinyurl.com/yrrge

    Hope it helps, even though it's just an eye-opener not a conclusive
    statement.

    Guest, May 5, 2004
  8. Zzyzx

    Dr Lou Guest

    Can I assume Mr. koren does not have the answer to my question:
    "Do you have data to document that the Toshiba MK-5024GAY, 7200rpm 16MB
    cache is alot quieter than the IBM/Hitachi 7K60?"
    Thanks.
    LG

    Dr Lou, May 5, 2004
  9. Zzyzx

    John Doue Guest

    I don't have first hand knowledge about this but a friend of mine has
    the IBM drive on his machine and is very happy with it but he admits he
    did not notice a significant output difference compared to the slower
    disk he had before. The point remains that it seems reasonable to expect
    a faster disk to be somewhat warmer and noiser than a slower one. For
    disk intensive activities and large files, it is clear a cache will not
    be as effective as speed, the reverse being true to some extent for
    small files and less intensive activities.

    All in all, I would go for the IBM/Hitachi drive but this would just be
    just a matter of personal preference.

    Guess you will now have to go by the seat of your pants...

    John Doue, May 5, 2004
  10. Zzyzx

    Zzyzx Guest

    It will be used to do live recordings and video editing.

    Zzyzx, May 5, 2004
  11. Zzyzx

    Silo Guest

    I'd like to know if anyone can verify what is said here viz the Tosh
    MK-5024GAY drive?

    Silo, May 6, 2004
  12. Zzyzx

    Guest Guest

    ( before e-mailing, remove "NOSPAM" from address )

    Either 7200rpm drives are up to the task. I'd pay more for the extra
    10 gigbytes and slightly shorter access times on the Hitachi.
    For audio, it may be all you need although it is generally agreed that
    the safest practice is to use a second HD for the audio files.
    Some laptops like the T series can use a second HD inside the swap
    bay, so that seems perfect for audio.

    For video though, the above may not work because current 7200rpm 2.5
    disks just don't seem big enough at 60 gb. For video, I think you
    really should get an external Firewire enclosure with the biggest
    7200rpm 3.5 HD that you can afford.

    I went through a similar reasoning and recently bought an ADS 1394b
    Pyro drive in which I intend to plug a big external HD as soon as my
    budget allows.

    If you were doing audio only, you could even run an external 10,000rpm
    HD for even better performance, by way of a Serial ATA enclosure and
    PC adapter.

    BTW, will you be relying on the internal soundcard for recording ? You
    know you can achieve better quality with external cards, just make
    sure that in the end all periphereals do fit together in the laptop's
    limited geography.

    Guest, May 7, 2004
  13. Zzyzx

    Tiny Tim Guest

    <snip>

    FWIW I can capture and edit video quite happily on my three year old Dell
    Inspiron 8000 with PIII 900 processor, 512MB RAM and a 30GB 5,400 rpm disk.

    Tiny Tim, May 7, 2004
  14. Zzyzx

    E Brown Guest

    The Hitachi site lists the various decibel levels of operation, if
    you want a data point. I don't know if Toshiba publishes that info.
    Emanuel

    E Brown, May 7, 2004
  15. Zzyzx

    Guest Guest

    ( before e-mailing, remove "NOSPAM" from address )

    It certainly can be done, up to those limits that you are willing to
    accept. I do some little video editing even in my 4200rpm disk, not to
    mention some audio stuff.
    But if the task is more demanding, like editing uncompressed video, or
    dealing with amounts of captured material, then the limitations can't
    go unnoticed.
    BTW, how do you store your edited videos ? There has been recent
    evidence that CD-r media just doesn't last.

    Guest, May 7, 2004
  16. Zzyzx

    Tiny Tim Guest

    I capture raw DV camcorder footage via firewire. My editing is mostly
    limited to cut/splice of clips - I don't bother with scene transitions,
    effects and sound manipulation. But the disk speed is only of concern during
    real-time processes like capture and output back to DV tape or s-VHS, as
    these are the only times when the disk *must* maintain pace with the video
    signal needs.

    At the moment I archive to s-VHS but now that my girlfriend has a DVD burner
    in her laptop I am thinking of re-capturing from s-VHS and archiving to DVD.
    I'll still keep the tapes for a while but when my current VCR quits I will
    not buy another so the days of my s-VHS archives are numbered. At least with
    digital media I can always re-burn every few years.

    Tiny Tim, May 7, 2004
  17. Zzyzx

    Good Man Guest

    if i were you, i'd get an external firewire drive. then you can put in
    whatever RPM drive you'd like in the case... it becomes portable so you can
    edit on whatever computer you like..... and you have a nice big harddrive
    to use forever.

    the 7200 notebook drives are too expensive IMHO... bite the bullet and get
    the external firewire/USB2 case and harddrive, as its much more practical
    and way more convenient.

    Good Man, May 7, 2004
  18. Zzyzx

    Joe Davis Guest

    The 7200 RPM drives have great specs, but the one I got (Hitachi) was very
    noisy and died after only a few weeks. I've gone back to a 5400 RPM drive.

    Joe Davis, May 9, 2004
  19. Zzyzx

    FulanoDeTal Guest

    I read that the Toshiba 50 gig x 7200 RPM was more reliable.

    FulanoDeTal, May 11, 2004