  1. vred24

    vred24 Guest

    Does anyone know if I can get a 7200 RPM hard drive for my I5100?

    vred24, May 14, 2006

  2. vred24

    S.Lewis Guest

    S.Lewis, May 14, 2006

  3. Not just financially; expect a shorter battery life and louder machine
    with the new, faster HDD. With that said, most people find the
    difference in speed noticeable (esp. on disk oriented tasks like booting
    up). Whether it's worth the price is a matter of opinion. Personally
    I'd consider the 7200RPM drive for a desktop replacement, but not for an
    ultra light or a machine that I frequently travel with.

    Nicholas Andrade, May 14, 2006
  4. Wow, looks dirt cheap now! I paid $223 for mine 2 years ago from ZZF
    (and I waited a while for the price to come down).

    It did give me a noticeable performance boost, however.

    Sparky Spartacus, May 14, 2006
  5. Sparky Spartacus, May 14, 2006
  6. vred24

    Jay B Guest

    I'm also in the market for a few mobile drives.
    Does anyone have experience with the Seagate Momentus?
    Pricing is usually a little higher than Hitachi Travelstar, but they do
    have 5 year warranties.

    It seems that every drive that goes bad - that i see - is a travelstar,
    but that could be because they outsell the other brands?? I dont know.

    Jay B, May 14, 2006
  7. vred24

    Ben Myers Guest

    Toshibas have a poor track record based on my experience. Replaced quite a few
    in Dell notebooks.

    Seagate is OK by me... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 14, 2006
  8. vred24

    Quaoar Guest

    Quaoar, May 14, 2006
  9. vred24

    Clint Guest

    2 years ago, there wasn't another 7200 rpm alternative. Now, there's at
    least two manufacturer's, and probably 6 models (60, 80, and 100GB).

    Clint

    Clint, May 15, 2006
  10. vred24

    journey Guest

    Just a note -- for personal use the 5400 100G drives have given me
    great performance with my P-M 2Ghz and Core Duo 1.8.. Ghz. So, I
    think I would again choose capacity over RPM, but it depends on what
    you're going to use it for. For non-server consumer uses, I love the
    5400's and it may provide better battery life.

    Journey

    journey, May 16, 2006
  11. vred24

    vred24 Guest

    The 7200 RPM drives are cheap and would improve performance, but would
    it run hotter? Heat destroyed one of my memory slots. I now have a pad
    with fans for the laptop and a program that regulates the CPU temp.

    vred24, May 18, 2006
  12. vred24

    Ben Myers Guest

    It's safe to say that 7200 rpm drives run hotter than 5400 rpm on the average.
    The Inspiron 5100 runs hot to begin with. Now add another source of heat. This
    could burn ones crotch (Well, it is a LAPtop) and maybe burn up the system...
    Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 19, 2006