755CE TFT LCD problem

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Barry, Oct 5, 2003.

  1. Barry

    Barry Guest

    Here's my problem:

    The motherboard (486DX4-100) on my 755CE finally died, so I swapped in
    another motherboard (PI-75) from a 755CX. Everything went okay and the
    laptop boots up just as before except for one thing. The screen is
    blue. I don't mean the blue screen of death from Windows. I mean that
    the LCD itself is blue. The display is bright, clear, and sharp, but
    everything is like grey scale only with blue instead of grey. By this
    I mean that when I go into one of my programs to change the colour
    scheme, all of the colours are different shades of blue.

    I figured some part must have been incompatible, so I started trading
    them back and forth. But every combination that I've tried, including
    all of the original PI-75 parts (LCD screen, cables, etc., everything
    but the plastic housing itself), also results in a blue screen. You
    can read everything fine, and the BIOS test functions give an okay to
    everything, but it does it in blue!

    Any ideas as to what I did wrong, or what might have gone wrong, would
    be greatly appreciated. The only real reason that I swapped the two
    cases was purely cosmetic. The PI-75 was in really rough shape, with
    numerous cracks, etc. However, both units functioned perfectly screen
    wise before the switch.

    Have I shorted something? Have I damaged a cable? Have I neglected to
    ground something? What would account for a blue screen?

    Thanks,
    Feeling Blue.

    Barry, Oct 5, 2003