768Mb on 503+

Discussion in 'FIC' started by ?uzzled, Nov 17, 2003.

  1. ?uzzled

    ?uzzled Guest

    Here are my current specs.:

    Win98SE / Win2K SP3
    K6-2 350 @ 450
    2 X 256Mb PC133
    8Gb IBM
    3Gb Seagate
    16Mb Voodoo 3 3000 AGP
    230W AT PSU
    32x Toshiba CD-ROM
    6x4x16 Yamaha CD Writer
    SB 64V PCI card
    5 port USB2 PCI card
    SCSI 2 PCI card
    3C509X ISA NIC

    I've now got my hands a double sided 512Mb PC133 DIMM. Potentially, I could
    run my system with 768Mb of RAM. Is this worth doing ? I know my system
    only caches 256Mb but could the other 512Mb be put to use ? (I've already
    disabled the virtual memory).

    My one major concern is, will the 512Mb DIMM draw too much power ? (We stuck
    some PC133 memory into some PIII boards at work and knackered them. Now
    going back to PC100 memory, the machines still crashes.) Has anybody used a
    512Mb DIMM in their machine ? (The manual only shows potentially 2 X 256Mb
    [as even 256Mb DIMMs weren't out when it was printed.])

    TIA

    ?uzzled, Nov 17, 2003

  2. ?uzzled

    steven67@ Guest

    steven67@, Nov 18, 2003

  3. ?uzzled

    Tim Guest

    Sorry, won't happen. Like the i440BX, the VIA MVP3 chipset cannot
    support modules built on DRAM components greater than 128Mbit (16Mbit
    x 8), for a maximum capacity of 256MB per DIMM. 512MB modules use
    256Mbit or higher DRAM components.

    Regards,

    Tim

    Tim, Nov 18, 2003
  4. ?uzzled

    ?uzzled Guest

    OK, thanks guys. Better not risk it then. :-(

    ?uzzled, Nov 19, 2003
  5. How did you get the two 256 pc133 dimms to work.? I put two in and the
    machine only recognizes 128 meg RAM. Is it the bios? I am using an FIC 503+
    board for years and no trouble except I can't add two 256 dimms. Any
    suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

    William M. Byrne, Dec 10, 2003
  6. ?uzzled

    Kyle Brant Guest

    you need low density sdram chips for compatibility with the mvp3
    chipset. IOW, your 256 meg sticks should have 16 chips on them.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle Brant, Dec 10, 2003
  7. It's probably the memory modules you are using. I believe the MVP3 chipset can
    only handle up to 16 MB per individual memory chip. That would mean that a 256
    MB DIMM would require 16 chips (double-sided, 8 chips on each side). Other
    chipsets from the same period, like the Intel 440BX, have the same limitation.

    Unfortunately, these DIMMs are getting harder to come by. Most 256 DIMMs on the
    market these days have 8 32MB chips. This often causes the computer to
    recognize only half the memory, as seems to be your case.

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Dec 10, 2003
  8. ?uzzled

    ?uzzled Guest

    The DIMMs are double sided DIMMs with 8 chips on each side. Sticker on the
    DIMM shows:
    PC133 256Mb SDRAM 16MX8 SPD
    U19256A4UIB6320
    *0300816*29

    The chips themselves show:
    16M864-PB20T
    0329

    And the barcode shows:
    256u16s168-75

    A search on google for the barcode provides:
    http://www.megacomp.fi/tuotteet_pc_muistit.html

    The BIOS I'm using is JE4333. Everything in the BIOS pretty much enabled if
    it looks like it will increase performance, including CL2, 4 bank interleave
    and RAM timings to Turbo.

    I think for it to work, you need low density (double sided) DIMMs for all
    the memory to be recognised. However, you will see a performance hit (as
    asked in my original post '512Mb on VA-503+'). I was getting 48fps in Quake
    3 with a Voodoo 3 and 256Mb but that dropped to 42fps with 512Mb. However, I
    was able to turn off virtual memory and apps run quicker.

    Hope that has helped you.

    ?uzzled, Dec 10, 2003
  9. ?uzzled

    Tim Guest

    If you use a K6-III, K6-2+, or K6-III+, the processor's L2 will
    work-around the VA-503+ (and all other Socket 7 chipsets) cacheable
    RAM limit, permitting utilization of your 512MB~768MB with no virtual
    memory penalty.

    Regards,

    Tim

    Tim, Dec 11, 2003