    more than 1280x1024. Our 3 year old HP tc4400's can only do 1024x768
    max, no more. Does the Tablet have to have a real video card to
    support higher resolutions?

    RT, Jan 27, 2010

  2. Depends on the brand and model.
    My 3yr old Toshiba M400 tablet does 1440x1050 (very high for a 12"
    tablet). A lot of the Lenovo tablets only do 1280x800. New HPs are
    wide-screen also @ 1280x800.
    Most new 12" tablets are at the 1280x800 resolution, WXGA, don't think
    anyone is producing any higher resolutions.

    All tablets have "real" video cards, if they didn't you'd have no
    video. Integrated video cards aren't the limit of your resolution, its
    based on the screen they put on the tablet and that is most likely
    driven by marketing. What you gain with a discrete video card is
    performance.

    Steve Jain [MVP], Jan 27, 2010

  3. RT

    RT Guest

    i have an LCD projector that is 1024x768 native, but can extrapolate
    to 1280x1024. Hoping for at least something like that provided in a
    device driver. Does your Toshiba do 1440x1050 natively or is it
    extrapolated?

    RT, Jan 28, 2010
  4. I've never seen or heard of an LCD notebook/tablet screen that can run
    at a higher resolution than the native resolution. AFAIK you cannot
    run higher than the native resolution on an LCD screen (projectors
    excepted).
    My Toshiba is native 1440x1050

    Steve Jain [MVP], Jan 28, 2010
  5. I've never seen or heard of an LCD notebook/tablet screen that can
    run at a higher resolution than the native resolution. <<

    Used to be true, but not on most of the laptops including cheap netbooks
    that I have set up for the past few years... for example, my Fuji tablet
    which has a 1024x768 screen, offers

    800x600.
    1024x768.
    1280x720.
    1280x768.
    1280x1024.
    1400x1050.
    1600x1200.
    1920x1080.
    1920x1200.

    ....for the external monitor.

    Beverly Howard

    Beverly Howard, Jan 28, 2010
  6. <hit send too soon>

    In addition, you can set the LCD to a higher resolution and then scroll
    the additional real estate by moving the mouse past the screen borders.

    As Steve indicates, as far as "simulating" a higher resolution in the
    available real estate, haven't seen that either.

    Beverly Howard

    Beverly Howard, Jan 28, 2010
  7. Yes, for an external monitor, but I specifically said "an LCD
    notebook/tablet screen." The context of this is not about external
    monitors.

    Steve Jain [MVP], Jan 28, 2010
  8. RT

    RT Guest

    Just came back from BestBuy.

    The first netbook i tried allowed 1152x864 on a tiny screen. Yes, it
    wasn't the easiest to read, but it did extrapolate way past the tiny
    physical dimensions of the screen.

    A much larger laptop never went above 1280x800 and that had a
    dedicated ATI video card.

    RT, Jan 28, 2010