    player. Going back to 71.89 or earlier fixes all problems.
    I guess WHQL doesn't mean a whole lot. The 77.xx drivers definately break
    something with the video overlay with atleast my 6600GT.

    edde, Aug 14, 2005

  2. edde

    edde Guest

    edde, Aug 14, 2005

  3. edde

    First of One Guest

    On ATi cards, setting all the FSAA and AF options to "application
    preference" lets the card play nice with Java. May be worth a try with the
    nVidia 77.xx drivers as well.

    First of One, Aug 14, 2005
  4. edde

    edde Guest

    Interesting.
    That's only for the default profile I assume?

    edde, Aug 14, 2005
  5. edde

    Beowulf Guest

    Interesting. I'm using 77.72 on PNY G4 ti4800 with no problems.
    WinXpsp2
    Slackware Linux 10.1 (76.76)

    DVD, DiVx, QT, wmv, etc all play fine. Games are ok, even older ones.

    You should poke around and make sure various old driver components are
    not still hanging around. Also, directx could be the problem. it never
    did "play nice" with non-windows drivers and opengl. You may also
    need to update you chipset drivers as well

    Beowulf, Aug 14, 2005
  6. edde

    edde Guest

    Thanks for the reply.
    No that isn't it. I have the latest nforce 4 chipset drivers, 6.66, and all
    the latest drivers for other components. All games play fine, it's a video
    related problem with the newer 77.xx drivers. As i posted above, others have
    noted the same problem. Switching back to 71.89 fixes the problem.
    But, the culprit may actually be 77.xx drivers and Sun Java as somebody
    pointed out. I uninistalled the Sun Java and found an version of MS Java
    floating around and installed it. That seems to have helped others.
    So far so good here.

    edde, Aug 15, 2005
  7. edde

    Neil J Bundy Guest

    Don't know if it will help anyone but with Athlon XP3200+, 6600GT on
    AG-Neovo F-419 TFT display, I found 77.xx drivers "broke" the displaying
    of video files when using everything except Quicktime player.

    I looked and tweaked a few things. No joy. Then I found that it was
    because video was defaulting to a full screen device so would not
    display in the Media player or PowerDVD window, as it was being
    channelled to the Analogue output to my F-419 monitor for some reason (I
    use the digital output for the desktop, it is set in clone mode).

    When I realised the video was being displayed on the other output I
    could see it only if I switched the monitor input - not fantastic...

    The solution was to disable full screen device in the nVidia Display
    control panel, all video works fine as it should now, and I can click in
    and out of full screen as required (or connect a TV) as necessary.

    What puzzled me is that it was installing the 77.xx drivers that enabled
    the full screen device... the driver actually works fine for me.

    I'm not sure re: some of the other problems people have experienced, it
    may be worth checking codecs, etc. - also Media Player Classic is quite
    a good bit of software - functional not gimmicky.

    Hope this helps - if not then nothing lost.

    Neil.

    Neil J Bundy, Aug 15, 2005
  8. edde

    edde Guest

    Well, I was playing a video again today and sure enough after a while the
    computer froze.
    Back to 71.89, and everything is fine. I talked to a friend with a similar
    setup and sure enough, 77.xx drivers do the same thing.
    Neil, I looked everywhere in the Nvidia Control Panel for "disable full
    screen device" and can't find it anywhere.

    edde, Aug 15, 2005
  9. edde

    edde Guest

    More info. I just discovered in my Event Viewer and NV Infinite Loop error.
    And that reminds me, I had that same error with the last set of 77.xx
    drivers too.
    The 71.89 and older drivers were 100% flawless for 6 months before these
    77.xx drivers.

    edde, Aug 15, 2005
  10. edde

    edavid3001 Guest

    Playing painkiller after upgrading to the 77.xx drivers from the older
    71.xx series that came with my Chaintech 6600GT on CD resulted in
    painkiller locking up once. It worked after I rebooted. CNTL ALT DEL
    didn't respond. A8N-SLI-P 1006.

    edavid3001, Aug 16, 2005
  11. edde

    edde Guest

    Curious, did the lockup occur during a video sequence in the game?
    Check your event viewer. See if there is any message for a NV4 Infinite Loop
    Error.
    That is what I get if I have a few mpgs open at the same time for a few
    minutes.
    71.xx fix this completely.
    I just got a new 535w Enermax PSU and I'm goint to do a fresh install of XP.
    If it still occurs it's definately a driver issue. I do know the 77.xx
    change something with the video overlay setup.
    Btw, I have an A8N-SLI (Deluxe) board too.
    Funny since we both have Nvidia chipsets on our mobos.

    edde, Aug 16, 2005
  12. edde

    edde Guest

    Well, I just tried with a new 7800 GT, and the same thing happens.
    Sun Java initializes something when it opens that corrupts the overlay.
    Try this...
    Open 2 or more videos in media player, then go into control panel and open
    the Java console.
    The display goes totally screwy.
    I'm uninstalling SUN and going back to the old MS Java. It doesn't cause the
    same problems.

    edde, Aug 18, 2005
  13. edde

    Ed Light Guest

    I tried opening 2 videos in WM Player 10. The 2nd replaced the 1st, of
    course. While it was playing I opened the java console. The sound continued
    but the picture went blank. ZoneAlarm came up to see if java should go on
    the net. I let it to check for an update and the picture came back.

    77.76
    6600GT
    nforce3 ultra
    Winchester
    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org

    Fight Spam:
    http://bluesecurity.com

    Ed Light, Aug 18, 2005
  14. edde

    edde Guest

    Hmmm, so I wonder who is to blame? Sun or Nvidia?
    I always used to notice the screen "flicker" when ever the Java console was
    opened, or a java applet was initialized, ever since Sun Java 1.42 or
    something, even with a 5900, 6600gt, and 7800 gt.. But then again, it never
    used to cause total overlay corruption until the 77.xx drivers.
    Nvidia and Sun need to get together on this one.

    edde, Aug 19, 2005
  15. edde

    Dromiz Guest

    Same problem game like everquest and guildwars crash with 77.77. These are
    not old game and have the newest directx.

    Dromiz, Aug 20, 2005
  16. edde

    rstacey1 Guest

    I've had the same problem - 6600 GT, I think I've found a workaround. (
    Works for me anyway )

    I created a new "Application Profile" for the JAVA.exe and changed a
    few settings for it.

    My settings are :

    Antialiasing settings - off
    Antistropic filtering - off
    Image settings - performance
    Antistropic sample optimization - off
    Triple buffering - off

    I'm not sure which setting allowed the video overlay to function
    correctly, but I no longer get video corruption when watching a video
    while JAVA is being used by Azureus anymore.

    Cheers.

    rstacey1, Aug 21, 2005
  17. edde

    edde Guest

    Wow! That may be genious! Way to go!
    I'm going to give that a try! Thanks! (Is this enough exclamation marks?!)

    edde, Aug 22, 2005
  18. edde

    edde Guest

    Seems to work for me too. Thanks again!

    edde, Aug 23, 2005
  19. edde

    rstacey1 Guest

    You're welcome, glad it helped :)

    rstacey1, Aug 23, 2005
  20. edde

    maxDK Guest

    Hmm..And now your GT6600 works with 77.xx ?
    In my control panel I don’t have a Java.exe..Should I install?

    maxDK, Aug 24, 2005