775dual-VSTA cold boots fine but restart hangs

Discussion in 'Asus' started by jives11, Feb 25, 2007.

  1. jives11

    jives11 Guest

    Hi,

    When my sons elderly Compaq died just before Xmas I built a new PC
    based on a 775dual-VSTA. I reused the old AGP graphics card (5200) and
    the old IDE disks. My plan is to upgrade piece by piece. CPU is a
    Pentium 4 3Ghz. XP SP2.

    All has been working fine, and is working OK. However I installed some
    XP updates and I noticed the PC didn't reboot after a restart. I don't
    see the the nVidia 5200 banner (normally first thing) or the BIOS. I
    have a green light on power and a solid red light on the disk access.
    The CDROM light does flicker, but I don't appear to be able to boot of
    a bootable CD image.

    In desperation I disconnected everything and took a look inside. All
    looked fine. Reconnected and powered up, and booted perfectly (though
    BIOS recognised an unsuccessful boot had previously occured).

    I can reproduce this. If I restart the PC appears to hang prior to the
    graphics card declaring itself. However if I start from cold (power
    off at the wall) it starts fine.

    I'm pretty sure that it used to restart OK. It's has autoupdate for
    XP running, and has the latest nvidia drivers and directX.

    I have not updated the BIOS, as I'm reluctant to and don't have a
    floppy drive so it looks a bit complex

    Any suggestions. I guess it could be the wires from the motherboard to
    the frontpanel power/reset buttons ?

    ANy suggestions gratefully received

    jives11, Feb 25, 2007

  2. As your PC started having problems after an XP update, I suggest that you
    use your XP's "System Restore" function. This is an easily forgotten
    resource, and should confirm whether you have a software or hardware
    problem.
    Updating the Bios (latest one is 2.40) is very easy on that board; get
    yourself a USB floppy drive.
    I can't suggest anything else right now.

    A question for you:
    Is your onboard audio working? Did you have any problems?
    I can't get mine to work: I get "No audio device" in the Control Panel's
    "Sounds and Audio Devices". I've installed all the drivers from the supplied
    CD, and downloaded and installed the latest Realtek drivers.

    Sylvain.

    Sylvain VAN DER WALDE, Feb 26, 2007

  3. jives11

    jives11 Guest

    Thanks Sylvian, my problem is I'm not sure which update may have
    contributed. I have a hunch it might be connected with a USB keyboard
    I recently added. It's one with a glowing blue backlight and sometimes
    the light appears to stay on. I also noticed this with the Optical
    mouse via the PS2 connecter, though when I use a USB mouse, the light
    goes off.

    I have not had any problems with audio. Are you using the rear
    connections or via front panel break out cables

    jives11, Feb 26, 2007
  4. I'm afraid that I can't think of anything to suggest. This newsgroup is not
    usually helpful with Asrock motherboards. You could try the two "homebuilt."
    newsgroups.
    I'm using the rear connection. In answer to your email, I didn't know about
    the Bios audio settings in "Advanced", but did find out later on. It still
    made no difference.
    I did have a PCI audio card which I fitted, and the audio is OK now.

    Sylvain.

    Sylvain VAN DER WALDE, Feb 27, 2007
  5. jives11

    jives11 Guest

    Thanks again, I reposted in the homebuilt group and had some very good
    advice. I also ended up realising I'd been an idiot - there is a
    windows native BIOS upgrade tool. So , I upgraded the BIOS AND rest to
    default settings.
    Booted fine and reboots fine. I did notice on reboot that it seemed to
    rediscover the onboard sound devices, and initially I was getting some
    popup errors when I tried to use some of the sound devices control
    tools. However this seemed to be services that had started before the
    device was rediscovered. another reboot sorted it and all is ok.

    is it worth resetting defaults in the BIOS ?

    jives11, Feb 28, 2007