    viewing and recording.

    If these activities are improved, how are they improved?

    GPUrookie

    GPUrooky, Aug 22, 2005

  2. GPUrooky

    Conor Guest

    There's no difference. You might as well get a budget 6200.

    --
    Conor

    If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened
    rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic
    music.

    Conor, Aug 22, 2005

  3. GPUrooky

    Shawk Guest

    Except that the first-gen 2D engine which was supposed to video decode and
    be programmable for all sorts of codecs was broken in the 6xxx series. Was
    it ever fixed? NVidia are claiming however codec decode assist with a
    second gen 2D engine in the 7xxx series and support for the H.264 codec for
    HDTV. As no bit rate spec has yet been agreed for Blu-ray or HD-DVD you may
    be taking a gamble that even the 7xxx series will fully support it. Can you
    wait a little longer if HD is important to you? Personally I'm waiting a
    while to see what ATI come up with. Conor is of course correct about the
    non-HD 2D stuff

    Shawk, Aug 22, 2005
  4. GPUrooky

    Conor Guest

    However it doesn't.

    Conor, Aug 22, 2005
  5. Shawk a écrit :
    Wasn't it supposed to be broken only in the 6800 series? The 6600 can
    decode HD codecs in hardware without any problem, I believe.

    Chong Woo Paig, Aug 22, 2005
  6. GPUrooky

    GPUrooky Guest

    The resolution for HDTV seems to fluctuate to meet a manufacturers
    marketing needs.

    I can't even tell for sure if the 7800 componet-video will output
    1920 by 1080i which my analog hdtv will accept.

    I could go dvi to hdmi but I have found that there is too much
    overscan.

    GPUrookie

    GPUrooky, Aug 22, 2005
  7. GPUrooky

    Shawk Guest

    It doesn't or only partially?

    Shawk, Aug 22, 2005
  8. GPUrooky

    Shawk Guest

    You could be correct - I dont know. Going forward IIRC correctly (I read a
    magaine review on this a week or two back) NVidia were claiming the 2nd gen
    engine can cope with H.264 streams in the 15 to 20MB range(?) but as no
    bit-rate has been agreed yet for the highest (1080p) video format this could
    be as much as 50MB giving only partial support with the 7800. I was
    sticking with the 9800 Pro in the hopes someone (NVidia or ATI) would come
    up with something suitable soon. I have to admit though that the 6800GT
    price drops are tempting me to go with an interim AGP solution just for my
    gaming allowing me to wait until next year for a full new system build...

    Shawk, Aug 22, 2005
  9. GPUrooky

    RaceFace Guest

    The 6800GT was supposedly the only card affected by this bug. Both the
    vanilla 6800 and 6800Ultra used a newer version of the silicon that did not
    have the problem.

    Though, I think their newest (71.89 and later) drivers either fixed the bug,
    or added a workaround to enable it, as I have no problems playing HD WMVs
    now on my eVGA 6800GT. Before, I couldn't play them without stuttering.

    RF.

    RaceFace, Aug 22, 2005
  10. GPUrooky

    Shawk Guest

    Thanks for the update - always prefer to hear from a user rather than a
    magazine.

    Shawk, Aug 22, 2005
  11. For non-game use a 7800 is definitely a waste of money. HDTV is the most
    demanding of those, but even then a 7800 offers little advantage over,
    say, a 6600GT.

    For Office and Photoshop I think you'd be hard pressed to tell the
    difference even with a 6200..

    Robert Hancock, Aug 23, 2005