7njl6 and PCI Hard Drive Controllers

Discussion in 'Chaintech' started by Robert Simandl, Oct 2, 2006.

  1. I have a 7njl6 with AthlonXP 3000+ and 1 gig of Rosewill DDR400 in
    dual-channel mode.

    I've been using this PC as a server for nearly a year with several
    hard drives installed. BOTH integrated IDE controllers are in use,
    and both SATA controllers are in a RAID-0 array. Also had a Promise
    ATA-133 controller in one of the PCI slots. Case is a CoolerMaster
    Stacker, with two 400-watt PSU's. Worked great in this
    configuration.

    I wanted to add another hard drive controller so I could add two more
    hard drives. I added an identical Promise controller to another PCI
    slot, and Windows would not boot (stuck at the Windows XP black
    screen with the blue dots moving left to right).

    Removed the second Promise controller and replaced with a SIIG IDE
    controller. Same result.

    Figured maybe it can take only one PCI controller card at a time and
    replaced the original Promise card with a Highpoint RocketRAID 454
    card. Same result.

    XP Home will not boot (unless in safe mode) with any PCI hard drive
    controller installed except for the Promise card (and only with ONE
    installed, not two).

    Note I have NOT actually installed any additional hard drives yet --
    haven't gotten that far.

    I notice during bootup when the PC is detecting hardware (just after
    the Rocketraid bios screen) there is some sort of one-line error
    message before Windows starts to load, but it flashes by so fast I
    can't read it.

    I don't think it's a heat, PSU, or RAM issue because the PC runs fine
    with the original Promise card.

    Any ideas what's going on here? Thanks.....

    Robert Simandl, Oct 2, 2006