7vaxp ultra and sata seagate 120gb

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Dimitris, Dec 9, 2003.

  1. Dimitris

    Dimitris Guest

    Guys who have made these two to work with the onboard
    controller(sil3112) please let me know what you did and your computer
    configuration/synthesis.

    The seagate drive is ST3120026AS and its date 7/11/2003. It works
    perfectly with a PCI sil3112 controller but has problems in reading
    data with the onboard controller. So i guess something is bad with the
    controller or the motherboard or something else.

    I have heard others with asus mainboard to have data corruption
    problems with the onboard silicon image controller, which were
    corrected via bios updates.

    Perhaps this reading problem can be solved with a bios update?Who
    knows, Gigabyte support department isnt the best around.Gigabyte=Great
    hardware, Very good price, but bad support. Two weeks and they havent
    answered yet.

    So if someone is working successfully with the onboard sata controller
    of the 7vaxp ultra, please be kind enought tell me about.

    Thanks in advance.

    Dimitris, Dec 9, 2003

  2. Dimitris

    henny Guest

    We went through the standard setup drill for SIL3112..
    Made the array
    fdisk
    format (we use FAT32)
    set second boot device =SCSI SATA
    Disabled other controllers.(PATA).
    unplugged EIDE drives
    Loaded in XP giving it the drivers at F6 time.
    Works very well.
    HG

    henny, Dec 9, 2003

  3. Dimitris

    Dimitris Guest

    Did you use Seagate Hard drives?If yes which model exactly? If no what
    brand of hard drives did you use?

    Dimitris, Dec 9, 2003
  4. Dimitris

    Dimitris Guest

    Also did you use 7VAXP ULTRA or 7VAXP-A ULTRA? Or another motherboard?

    Dimitris, Dec 9, 2003
  5. Dimitris

    jpsga Guest

    We use a pair WD Raptors on a GA-7N400 pro2.
    JPS

    jpsga, Dec 10, 2003
  6. Dimitris

    Dimitris Guest

    What is the bios version of the onboard sil3112 controller?

    Dimitris, Dec 10, 2003