    Can I use a 80 wire ribbon cable with my DVD burner and CDRom
    or should I use a 40 wire cable? Are there any advantages or disadvantages
    to either one? Thanks,

    Striker, Jan 25, 2004

  2. Striker

    +CrimsonLiar Guest

    It depends on which cable you have handy and if airflow/tidyness is a
    consideration. In terms of performance on UDMA devices such as your DVD and
    CDR it wont make a jot of difference.

    CrimsonLiar

    +CrimsonLiar, Jan 25, 2004

  3. Erh, airflow and tidiness are hardly factors when comparing 80 wire and 40
    wire ribbon cables.

    Striker, you can use either, but if you have a spare 80 wire cable, use that
    one. It's only at higher speeds than what DVD/CDROM drives usually run at
    that 80 wire with its better shielding is required, but it will work well
    for your purpose. So will 40 wire.

    Henrik Dissing, Jan 26, 2004
  4. Striker

    +CrimsonLiar Guest

    Erh, airflow and tidiness are hardly factors when comparing 80 wire and 40
    Please go back and read my WHOLE post. Im not sure if you are dissagreeing
    with me or agreeing :)

    CrimsonLiar

    +CrimsonLiar, Jan 26, 2004