    2. a wireless hub (broadcaster? router? What is it called?)
    3. an airport express for onkyo
    4. some sort of wireless card for my wife's clamshell

    #3 is easy
    #1 and #2 I think will be easy as long as I buy card and router from
    the same manufacturer, right?
    #4...Buying an airport card would be expensive (~$150) and only give me
    802.11b. I would like to be cheaper and faster. Is it possible to get a
    USB 802.11g receiver that will work on a machine using USB1.0 and os
    9.2?

    Thanks for any help,

    Adam

    juneappal, Aug 21, 2004

  2. It should be easy, full stop. It shouldn't matter if the equipment's
    not all from the same manufacturer.
    Maybe, but you'd be better off looking for something that'd plug in to
    the Ethernet port. Mac OS already knows how to use the Ethernet port
    for networking, so that'd require no extra hardware drivers. But the
    USB port's not normally used for networking, so you'd have to rely on a
    driver for anything that would plug in there. Linksys makes an
    Ethernet-to-802.11 device; others probably do too.

    Tom Harrington, Aug 22, 2004

  3. Maybe, but you'd be better off looking for something that'd plug in to
    the Ethernet port. Mac OS already knows how to use the Ethernet port
    for networking, so that'd require no extra hardware drivers. But the
    USB port's not normally used for networking, so you'd have to rely on a
    driver for anything that would plug in there. Linksys makes an
    Ethernet-to-802.11 device; others probably do too.[/QUOTE]

    The Ethernet port on the clamshell is only 10Mbps (the same as 802.11b),
    I believe. So this will be cheaper, but it won't be any faster than the
    Airport card.

    I've seen USB 802.11g NICs in stores, but I think most of them only have
    drivers for Windows, and they might also require USB 2.0.

    I've got the Linksys device you're talking about; it's called a
    "Wireless Game Adapter" (because it's targeted at things like Xbox that
    don't support add-on cards). I use it on my ReplayTV; it's fine for
    doing the nightly TV schedule downloads, but when I tried to transfer
    movies to my iBook via my 802.11b router, performance was abysmal (not
    even 1Mbps, IIRC).

    Barry Margolin, Aug 22, 2004
  4. The Ethernet port on the clamshell is only 10Mbps (the same as 802.11b),
    I believe. So this will be cheaper, but it won't be any faster than the
    Airport card.

    I've seen USB 802.11g NICs in stores, but I think most of them only have
    drivers for Windows, and they might also require USB 2.0.

    I've got the Linksys device you're talking about; it's called a
    "Wireless Game Adapter" (because it's targeted at things like Xbox that
    don't support add-on cards). I use it on my ReplayTV; it's fine for
    doing the nightly TV schedule downloads, but when I tried to transfer
    movies to my iBook via my 802.11b router, performance was abysmal (not
    even 1Mbps, IIRC).[/QUOTE]

    The PC Card slot in the clamshell iBooks can't support 802.11g speeds
    anyway. That's why you need a newer machine -- it needs to have a
    CardBus slot.

    Jerry Kindall, Aug 22, 2004
  5. No, all Macs since the original iMac has 100 Mbps.

    Morten Dreier, Aug 22, 2004
  6. i confirm that, it's 100Mbps on my old orange 'book (the first
    clamshell ibook model).

    Pierre Chatel, Aug 22, 2004
  7. I think you just mean www.smalldog.com, there's no "electronics" in
    their address. They do have some of these in stock.
    I _think_ you might be mixing up Airport cards with the cards used in
    Airport base stations. The original ABS (and maybe later models for all
    I know) had an Orinoco card in them, but these were not pin-compatible
    with Airport cards. I never heard of anyone but Apple selling cards
    that would go into Airport slots.

    Tom Harrington, Aug 23, 2004
  8. juneappal

    Guest Guest

    the lucent/orinoco wavelan cards are the same as the apple airport
    cards with minor electrical differences and a built-in antenna. infact,
    they are even seen as airport cards in os9. however, that doesn't
    really help since an ibook lacks a pcmcia slot, so there is no way to
    use one. they won't physically fit in the airport slot, and even if
    they did, they are not electrically compatible.

    the *only* thing that works internally on an ibook is an original apple
    airport card. any other solution will require an external device of
    some sort.

    Guest, Aug 23, 2004
  9. juneappal

    Simon Slavin Guest

    The computer itself couldn't get data from the card any faster
    than it could from an 802.11b card, so any extra expense would
    be wasted. However, there's no reason why you shouldn't use a
    cheaper card if it works with that computer.

    Simon.

    Simon Slavin, Aug 23, 2004