    Im trying to find a mobo for a celeron 1.4 ghz. I have found an online retailer that has motherboards using both the 810 and
    815 chipsets. I want to get an intel based motherboard, but not sure which of these chipsets is better. any problems with
    either I should know about?

    Bluebird, Dec 19, 2003

  2. Bluebird

    DanO Guest

    810 = NO AGP Slot, Value Minded Motherboard

    815 = AGP Slot (usually), higher performance motherboard

    DanO, Dec 19, 2003

  3. Bluebird

    husker Guest

    Cool, thanks for the info. Is it safe to assume that any 815 motherboard can handle a 1.4ghz celeron?

    husker, Dec 19, 2003
  4. Bluebird

    Isabella Guest

    you must find 815T chipset that supports Tualatin cpu, 1,2 to 1,4 are
    tualatin core based cpus and only intel bx chipset with appropriate slotket
    (only cpu with 100MHz fsb) adapter or 815T wil work with them
    Good Luck
    Isabella

    Isabella, Dec 19, 2003
  5. Bluebird

    husker Guest

    Thanks for the info. Are there any other INTEL chipsets other than the 815T that support the celly 1.4?

    husker, Dec 19, 2003
  6. Bluebird

    Ayoub Guest

    I used to use a 1.4GHz celeron on a p3b-f version 1.04 using a slot T
    adapter.
    that board has a bx chipset
    cheers

    815T that support the celly 1.4?

    Ayoub, Dec 19, 2003
  7. Officially and out of the box, I suppose? NAFAIK, apart from some
    i810e/e2 versions (but who'd want to use these?). BTW the exact chipset
    to look for is the i815 (in whatever version) with B0 stepping
    (frequently also called B-step).

    Stephan

    Stephan Grossklass, Dec 19, 2003
  8. Bluebird

    Paul Guest

    Another aspect of the motherboard you might want to investigate
    is the maximum amount of ram that can be installed on the
    board. Non-Intel based motherboards frequently offer larger
    maximum capacities for memory - but, the gotcha is that some
    of these non-Intel based boards have flaky AGP slot designs,
    so some percentage of boards will keep having video crashes.

    So, if you buy a Via, Ali, or SIS based board from that era,
    you never know for certain whether the board they ship to you
    will have a stable AGP slot. If you decide to go that route,
    buy your motherboard locally, and if there is trouble, you
    can easily return it for another one.

    You can put 1GB of memory unofficially on a 440BX based board
    (just shop at Crucial and use their memory selector to get the
    correct type of SDRAM memory). On a 440BX based board with four
    DIMM slots, you could run 4x256MB at 100MHz memory clock speed,
    or you can run 3x256MB at 133MHz memory clock speed. YMMV.
    Not all of the 440BX boards can do 133MHz (due to limitations
    on the clock generator chip and not the chipset). A frequent
    poster in this group runs 440BX based boards at 150MHz, so the
    Northbridge itself is capable of great things.

    Given what I now know, I'd find a 440BX board, and depending on
    what kind of socket it has on it (slot 1 or S370), buy an adapter
    to use with the Tualatin. You might even want to look at some
    non-Asus boards with 440BX on them, because some of them can be
    overclocked quite well. (In the case of Abit, watch out for bad
    caps if buying second hand.)

    http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/p2b_procupgrade_faq.html
    http://www.tipperlinne.com/p2bmod.htm

    Also, you should evaluate your purchase in terms of how large
    an IDE drive it supports. These three links are in reverse
    chronological order (oldest boards are covered by the last link).
    If the motherboard doesn't support large disks, you might want to
    buy a Promise ATA133 IDE card to plug into your new motherboard.

    http://www.asus.it/support/english/techref/48bithdd/index.aspx (modern)
    http://www.asuscom.de/support/FAQ/faq076_32gb_ide_hdd.htm (older)
    http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm (patched BIOS)

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Dec 19, 2003
  9. Bluebird

    DanO Guest

    No, not all 815's can handle a Tualatin Celly. There was a revision of the
    815 that added Tualatin support. I wouldn't bother trying to make a BX
    based board work, unless you already have one laying around. Find a proper
    Socket370 board with the 815T chipset and you'll be set.

    DanO, Dec 19, 2003
  10. Bluebird

    Ron Guest

    Well said, Paul. The Tualatin Celeron at 1.4 GHz is an excellent
    choice for those BX boards that can do the voltage. I have not tried
    the Powerleap adapter but see many posts talking about them. Do you
    have any experience with these?

    If I recall correctly the 815 chipsets only support 512 meg of ram.
    So, as you said the use of a BX board allows for more memory.

    I have recently been experimenting with a Tualatin 1.4 with 512k cache
    on a P3BF using an Upgradeware Slot-T adapter. This motherboard must
    be a particularly good one, as I am able to use four 256 meg dimms and
    run at 133MHz FSB with no problems so far. Quite a bit more expensive
    than the Celeron but should offer a performance boost with the larger
    cache. We'll see how it goes.

    Ron, Dec 20, 2003
  11. PIII-S, nice.
    This is an excellent result, normally one doesn't get a lot past 100 MHz
    with 4 doublesided DIMMs on a BX board. What kind of modules do you use?
    As for a stability test, I recommend CPUBurn (originally written for
    Linux, but also available for Windows). This little package comes with
    an app called burnbx.exe which has been serving me well in discovering
    instabilities. If that terminates within one or two minutes, you've got
    some general stability issue. If it runs for ages, then probably not
    (but it doesn't say anything about RAM errors in ranges it didn't run
    in).
    I think the higher FSB should be of yet greater effect. Coppermine PIIIs
    and Tualatin Celerons are pretty much bandwidth starved with multipliers
    of more than 10x.
    Pretty fast, that's for sure - should be at least the equivalent of a P4
    1.6A box. You might want to drop in a SATA controller and a 74 gig WD
    Raptor - though not quite cheap, the system will certainly fly with that
    (given the 74 gig Raptor scores as high as current 15k SCSI drives in
    desktop application benchmarks, plus offers excellent noise levels and
    no more than 7200rpm-class heat dissipation).

    While we're at chipsets, the difference in performance between the
    i440LX and i440BX is literally night and day. The BX is at least 50%
    faster in memory intensive tasks - my Mozilla 1.5 startup time (with no
    part of it in the disk cache yet) dropped from 13 seconds to a mere 8.5
    seconds, the restarting time from the disk cache from 7 to 5.25 seconds,
    AIDA32 also launches much faster, and all that just due to a board
    change from a P2L97-DS to a P2B-D.

    Stephan

    Stephan Grossklass, Dec 21, 2003
  12. Bluebird

    Ron Guest

    Stephan,

    These are Mushkin Rev2 dimms. The best I can tell there are Infineon
    HYB39S128800CT-7 chips on them.

    I am not particularly into performance comparisons but it seems to be
    quite a bit more responsive than even the 1GHz 100FSB Coppermine I had
    in there before, but I certainly expected it to be. All other hardware
    and settings remain the same.

    I don't have any real hi-speed devices, just a Promise ATA100
    controller with 2 Seagate 40GB 7200 rpm drives, a 64MB Radeon 8500
    video card, and the usual typical desktop office computer bits and
    pieces. Most of my work involves database and spreadsheet data
    manipulation.

    I will try to post any future developments as time permits.

    Ron, Dec 21, 2003
  13. Bluebird

    John Guest

    They are both a piece of shit. Also, 820 was a piece of shit.

    John, Dec 22, 2003