    SATA-II? Is there room in the box for more than two 3.5" hard drives?
    A friend wants to upgrade, and is wondering how far he can go...

    Thanks!

    William P. N. Smith, May 29, 2005

  2. There are four SATA connectors on the board, and by default, room for 2
    3.5" internal drives.

    Going beyond that means either buying an adapter for the 5.25" bay
    and/or sacrificing the floppy drive.

    There are only two SATA power connectors, so if you add more SATA drives
    that come without MOLEX connectors, you'll need power converters in
    addition to the drives and data cables.

    Edward J. Neth, May 29, 2005

  3. William P. N. Smith

    S.Lewis Guest

    As usual, Ed's on the money.

    While Dell doesn't specify the SATA spec on their Intel 925 board:

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8400/SM/specs.htm#wp1052308

    The Intel website suggests that both versions of the 925 are SATA 1:

    http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/express_flyer.htm

    Therefore I'd speculate the 8400 has SATA1.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 30, 2005
  4. Intel hasn't yet released a SATA2 chipset -- all current ones are SATA1.

    Edward J. Neth, May 30, 2005
  5. William P. N. Smith

    S.Lewis Guest

    Ed,

    Judging by the data transfer rates, I think the 945 and 955 chipsets are
    SATA 2 (those rates drastically increased from the 915 and 925).

    Unless I misunderstand, this claims a leap from 150MB/s to 3GB/s.

    Dimension 8400
    925 chipset: http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/925xe/index.htm

    Dimension 9100
    955 chipset: http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/955x/index.htm

    Seeing those numbers, I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that the 8400/925 has
    the "old" SATA standard, and the 9100/955 has SATA2.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 30, 2005