8500DV - on restart WinXP h/w auto detect reinstalls old drivers I just removed!!

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Ian Roberts, Jul 6, 2004.

  1. Ian Roberts

    Ian Roberts Guest

    Hi

    Sorry to be so long winded with this. Just hope that someone can assist me
    in cleaning this up...

    Having just finished a fresh install of Win XP Pro I downloaded the lastest
    CATALYST 4.6 display drivers to replace the 2001 drivers (which are
    pitifully buggy) that Windows update had obtained and installed.

    The install instructions for 4.6 very specifically states that all the old
    drivers must be removed before attempting to install the new ones.

    I carefully followed the instructions which say go to control panel,
    add/remove programs and remove "ATI display driver".

    This is the first stumbling block as the ATI display driver isnt in the
    list. So I went to cp/display/settings/advanced/adaptor/properties/driver
    and clicked on uninstall driver.

    All seemed OK but upon restarting, windows XP auto detects "new" hardware
    and installs the drivers I just removed. I then get caught in a loop of
    attempting remove and then auto detect reinstalls them!

    So to hell with it I thought and installed the new drivers anyway.

    All seems OK except I cant get a res higher than 800x600. Ive got a 19"
    trinitron monitor which I use at 1152x864, 32bit 100hz referesh on my other
    install of Win XP ( I multi-boot various incarnations of windows).

    Why are the ATI drivers and software such a pig to install and work with?

    Can anyone give me clear instructions on how to completly remove all the ATI
    software and then do a fresh install of the display drivers and MMC and also
    explain what order I should install everything in.

    This is the installation order as I understand it:
    MS DX9b
    MS WMEncoder
    ATI Display Driver
    ATI DAO MDAC (mmc-9-1-0-0-dao-mdac.exe)
    ATI DVD encoder (atiCDwiz-v3-0.exe)
    ATI MMC (mmc-9-1-0-0.exe)

    Thanks a lot for reading all this and any assistance you may be able to
    offer.

    Ian

    Ian Roberts, Jul 6, 2004

  2. Ian Roberts

    patrickp Guest

    It's not the Ati drivers that are the pig here, it's the M$ Update
    drivers. You should _not_ have installed them. Go to
    http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/catalystutils.html and
    download cat-uninstaller.exe. Now uninstall everything Ati you can
    and reboot. Run the cat-uninstaller. Hopefully, this will remove the
    Windows Update driver, too and, if you're lucky, leave your card
    running on the default VGA driver that it would have been had you not
    let Windows install the Update driver. If so, (and after reinstalling
    DX9 to be on the safe side) you should be able to install the Ati
    driver.

    Otherwise, you'll probably need to flatten your system and reinstall
    Windows. This time, do _not_ let Windows install a driver. And do
    remember to install your chipset drivers and DX9 first.

    The moral? You just found out - _never_ install Windows Update
    drivers.

    patrickp

    - take five to email me

    patrickp, Jul 7, 2004

  3. Ian Roberts

    Gordon Scott Guest

    NEVER use the drivers on windows update, they are OLD by at least six
    months. All that section of windows update is OPTIONAL anyway.

    install order for 8500 dv
    assuming you have dx9 installed and whatever other OS goodies you want
    already in.

    wdm drivers do not reboot
    ati drivers reboot

    then,,,
    MMC
    DVD
    etc etc reboot as required

    Gordon Scott, Jul 9, 2004
  4. Ian Roberts

    Ian Roberts Guest

    Thanks Guys

    Thats very clear and helpful.

    I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

    Regards

    Ian I^)

    Ian Roberts, Jul 13, 2004
  5. Ian Roberts

    patrickp Guest

    So,how did you fare, Ian?

    patrickp

    - take five to email me

    patrickp, Jul 13, 2004
  6. Ian Roberts

    Bob Street Guest

    I had to trash my 8500DV after upgrading drivers. I started getting red
    spots and it went down hill from there.

    Bob Street, Jul 17, 2004
  7. Ian Roberts

    Ian Roberts Guest

    Hi Patrick

    Thanks for asking.

    Ive been away on biz so havent had a chance to sort it out yet.

    I'll be back in touch to let you know once Ive got round to it.

    Regards

    Ian

    Ian Roberts, Jul 20, 2004