8600GT and 300 watt PS?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by MHF, Aug 15, 2007.

  1. MHF

    MHF Guest

    MHF, Aug 15, 2007

  2. MHF

    Paul Guest

    The 8600GTS is 47 watts max here.

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/geforce8600gts_7.html

    The 8600GT is about 80% of the clock rate of the 8600GTS. So to make
    a rough guess, the power will be about 80% of 47W or about 38W.

    Whether your power supply is sufficient, really depends on what else
    your computer is packed with. If you had a Core 2 Duo it might be OK.
    If you had a dozen disk drives, maybe not.

    Quote either the make and model of power supply, provide a URL with
    a picture of the label on the side of the supply, or copy all the
    numbers on it. Many modern setups load down the +12V rail, so looking
    at your hardware inventory and comparing to the amps available on
    +12V, is a good start to figuring it out. In other words, if you
    go out of your way to crush the 300W supply, you may succeed.

    There are web sites to estimate power, but they give numbers on
    the high side.

    Another way to guess at the answer, is consider how much power
    the existing video card draws. It could be that the card you've
    got, used more than 38W, and thus, by replacing it, you are
    actually unloading the supply.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Aug 15, 2007

  3. MHF

    Conor Guest

    On a Shuttle XPC, yes. On a desktop, hardly.

    Conor, Aug 15, 2007
  4. MHF

    DaveW Guest

    No.

    DaveW, Aug 16, 2007
  5. MHF

    DRS Guest

    You're talking shit yet again.

    The 8600GT draws less than my 7800GT. My entire system draws less than
    250W.

    DRS, Aug 19, 2007