865 NEO2-LS: Won't detect 1 PATA Channel & can't get into BIOS

Discussion in 'MSI' started by mozetti, Jun 30, 2005.

  1. mozetti

    mozetti Guest

    I have the 865 NEO2-LS board and didn't have any problems with it.

    Then I bought a WD 200GB SATA HDD for it. Turned on the BIOS settings
    so I could have SATA and PATA working; PATA were channels 1&2, SATA
    channels 3&$. Everything worked fine, still booting from the PATA.

    Installed WinXP to the SATA drive, booted from the SATA drive and
    edited the boot.ini so I could choose to run the old WinXP on the PATA
    or the new WinXP on the SATA. Still worked fine.

    Then I started getting blue screens in the old WinXP on PATA. Then I
    noticed the dreaded HDD clicking sounds.

    Now, when I boot up the BIOS can't detect the PATA Channel 1 that has
    my HDD and DVD/RW drive. It detects PATA Channel 2 fine, and the SATA
    channels.

    The kicker is, I had an older HDD that went bad on me and exhibited the
    same symptoms.

    So - is it just coincidence that I've had 2 HDDs go up on me, or is
    there something up with the board?

    mozetti, Jun 30, 2005

  2. mozetti

    walt Guest

    wrote:

    What version of the bios do you have? The latest will see 168gb and
    above.

    walt, Jul 4, 2005

  3. mozetti

    mozetti Guest

    It's not a capacity issue - I used the PATA 100GB hard drive for a long
    time prior to these issues.

    The BIOS doesn't detect the hard drive during post, and it also
    wouldn't recognize the CDRW hooked up as a slave on the same channel.

    mozetti, Jul 5, 2005